NGD: I couldn't be more excited

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wsaraceni, Sep 18, 2019.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

So you know when you were a kid you'd close your eyes and picture a guitar. This is that guitar. I've wanted a Gibson Les Paul since I started playing in 1998ish. The store where I took lessons had a few, but they all weighed 4000lbs and I couldn't really play them well. Dreams crushed. But in the back of my mind I always wanted one. For a while, I kind of wrote them off as junk. Every time the store would get a new one in I'd check it out and confirm, yup. I don't love it. But close my eyes at any time and that's what I picture when I see a guitar.

So fast forward a few years, and a bunch of guitars coming and going and I decide on a PRS Santana. I love this guitar. Its a maple top, mahogany body with a full rosewood neck. I always thought, it's kinda like a Les Paul with a trem in a way. I love everything about this guitar. but when I close my eyes and think of a guitar this wasn't it.

then one day there was a forum member of another forum that posts about a NJ meetup. some factory his family owns just has a ton of people there messing around with gear. must be like 100 amps. a real humble. a bunch of stuff. the coolest sounding "orange by matamp" I've ever heard. and a bunch of high end guitars. Finally. I played a Les Paul I liked. it was a custom shop R9. I didn't even know what that was. But at the time I couldn't afford it without selling my Santana.

Years go buy. I buy a few cheaper guitars. but never have the cash to blow on a $4k+ guitar. finally I went to Chicago for work a month back. I went to Chicago music exchange. what's the one thing you don't want to see when you are dying for a Les Paul, but probably shouldn't get one.

THIS

I played a used one on a stand. It was good. I played a used one on the couch. Also good. I played a new one on the 2nd row. So-so. I start looking at the different top colors. Seeing which one I liked the best. Salesman comes over and says something. I tell him the one that is the best looking is that one (points to guitar). he says "want to play it". I say "absolutely not". I walk away. he puts it on the couch. he finds me looking at them again and says "I put that guitar on the couch". I picked it up, played an A chord and knew it was the one for me. every guitar I loved feels like you can feel it vibrate more. I don't know how to explain it. but its what I like. its like the back of the neck feels like a tuning fork sounds. I took a photo of the tag, damn...too much. put it back and thanked him and left.

two or three weeks later a post on the Les Paul forum posts about getting a CME spec R8. there was only 3-5 there when I was there so a 20-33% chance he got this guitar. nope, still for sale on their website. but my heart sank. I knew I had to sell stuff. I even started a thread on here where I was going to sell my Strat and firebird. More than half said not to. But I was ready to. I sold a bunch of other stuff and came up with a little over half. Told me wife "which guitar of these two do I sell" figuring I'd only be off like $500-$750 at that point and I'd get it. she says "just get it. ill cover the difference". "score....win....wife of the year"

here it is.
    just under 9lbs of Les Paul goodness.

custom shop R8 with subtle flame (I love this look)
    antiquity burst
    underwound custombuckers
    Carmelita carve 59 spec neck, top, frets, etc.
    so essentially and R9 spec guitar with R8 pricing and R8ish top

how did I do? this is easily my favorite guitar. everything about it is perfect. well almost perfect. even though it was expertly packed and arrived 99.999% safe, the switch tip wasn't taken off and cracked in 3. no big deal they'll send another. for now my firebird doesn't have one for a few days.

bryan83, rapaul76, dwk302 and 151 others like this.
  2. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Man, it’s a beaut! Congratulations!

wsaraceni likes this.
  3. Stikoun

Stikoun Member

Big congrats! When you find the right Les Paul, it is pure magic. And it looks very similar to my R9, which was also love at first chord.

More importantly, congrats on a wonderful wife. That is a bit more important than guitars, which is something coming from a guitar nerd like me.

Lastly, you probably wanted to post in a different section. This is called "Amps and Cabs".

4. wsaraceni

thanks. I realized that. always mess up when I have two windows open. I asked a mod to move it.

5. Stikoun

Stikoun Member

To be honest, it is not such a big deal.

And you will get lots of compliments on that beautiful guitar one way or another!

wsaraceni likes this.
  6. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

7. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Fantastic. I love the story, too. My CR8 is my #1 guitar and has been for over a decade. I hope your R8 brings you joy!

wsaraceni likes this.
  8. b80

b80 Member

Very cool story. It's awesome to hear you ended up with exactly what you wanted!! I hope to have a similar story with a LP Custom, one day.

wsaraceni likes this.
  9. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

That is one beautiful guitar! And a great story, too. Kudos to the missus, they sure know what makes us tick!

DV52 and wsaraceni like this.
  10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Congratulations! You picked a beautiful example. :)
    Enjoy it to the max! ;)

wsaraceni likes this.
  11. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Nice grab!!

wsaraceni likes this.
  12. wsaraceni

nice. what spec custom is it for you?

13. sbr

sbr Member

Cool story and a stunning LP! You've done well ;)

wsaraceni likes this.
  14. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

Very beautiful

wsaraceni likes this.
  15. koji

koji Member

Some guitars seem to have that "x" factor, a magic that can't be quantified. When you find one, grab it. Your wife seems to have this "x" factor. Beautiful instrument.

wsaraceni likes this.
  16. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Congrats on getting a beauty! Great wife you have!
    Well done and enjoy!

Thx for sharing a great story!

now make sure you play it and play it lots!

DV52 and wsaraceni like this.
  17. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

18. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Very cool, well done, and a long time coming!

wsaraceni likes this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Wow you basically got an r9 for a r8 price;nice. Weight?

wsaraceni likes this.
  20. killer blues

killer blues Member

Good for you! My lp search took about 5 years before I found my R7. It was easier finding my strat.