NGD-I have to leave work

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by droptune, Feb 24, 2012.

1. droptune

droptune Member

I just got my dream guitar. I have never posted on the Acoustic form before. I just had to post this. I got a 1995 John Gilbert classical guitar. The guitar is mint sounds like a cannon. This is the only one I have ever seen for sale in 20yrs of collecting. Just thought I would share my ultimate NGD. Thanks for listening.

2. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Congrats. Take the rest of the week off.

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your 1995 John Gilbert Classical guitar! Pics please...

4. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

NICE!!! Pease give us a more in-depth review once you've had some time with it... and yeah... pics would be awesome!

5. droptune

droptune Member

I will have my wife help me post pics within a day or two. Im not that advanced yet. Btw, the guitar is awesome. Very loud and responsive. I think my dad likes it more than his Robert Ruck. The neck has a big feel to it and it is taking some time to get used to.

6. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Okay, that's enough name dropping, Gilbert & Ruck...yay your family!

Congrats on the new guitar...sounds awesome!

7. droptune

droptune Member

I do have to admit that my my dad has a Herman Hauser III. Sorry, we just love classical guitars. I would not compare anything to that.

8. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

Nice! I'll bet those guitars sound SWEET!

Has anyone in your family dabbled much with any of the more modern designs like the Humphreys and Smallmans? If so, what do you think of them? Just curious. I've never played any of the high-end, legendary names in classical guitars. I'm sure that I'd be in heaven playing ANY of them.

9. droptune

droptune Member

Yes, my dad has '93 Humphreys and a 07 Redgate. The Redgate is Latticed braced. My dad has both for sale at Dream Guitars. I want him to get the Redgate back because it has not sold yet. The latticed guitars are very unique. Almost mechanical but very loud. We have never owned a Smallman though. People say they are very unforgiving.

10. droptune

droptune Member

BTW, I will have pics of the Gilbert this week. My wife worked all weekend.

11. droptune

droptune Member

BTW, I got sick on Friday and could not play this last weekend. Just enough for my wife to here it. I lent it to my dad for the weekend and I still dont have it back. Kinda strange huh?

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Is this the one that was just on ebay?

I love classical guitars, I have a rather extensive collection and have owned many guitars from different builders over the years.

13. droptune

droptune Member

No. But the same guy owned my guitar. He also has a Fleta that my dad wants really bad. You have to draw the line somewhere. What guitars do you own?

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Over the years I've owned guitars by Paulino Bernabe, Tezanos-Perez, Greg Byers, Robert Ruck, Christopher Dean, Tom Humphrey, Dake Traphagen, Masaru Kohno, Pepe Romero Jr, and a few others. I currently have guitars by Manuel Velazquez, Brian Cohen, and Eric Sahlin.

I predict those Gilbert Senior guitars will be be quite collectible in the future, he only made about 200, if I recall correctly. His son is building now.

15. droptune

droptune Member

How do you like the Velazquez? I have never played one but almost bought one.

16. droptune

droptune Member

BTW, my guitar was finished by his son right before Sr. quit building. Sr. handmade his own tuners and put adjustable bridge saddles on his guitars.