NGD - Ibanez Premium AZ226PB

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
Im a Gotoh hardware fan .. Great stuff overall .. some people complain about the Hyperion pickups .. more so initially .. in time, it seems there has been a general warming up to them .. I like them .. Theyre dynamic .. Very responsive .. And surprisingly versatile

The Ibanez AZ series is quite cool .. I enjoy messing around with them

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
Im a Gotoh hardware fan .. Great stuff overall .. some people complain about the Hyperion pickups .. more so initially .. in time, it seems there has been a general warming up to them .. I like them .. Theyre dynamic .. Very responsive .. And surprisingly versatile

The Ibanez AZ series is quite cool .. I enjoy messing around with them
Thanks. I really hadn't heard anything negative about the pickups. They sound pretty good in the clips.

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
Now that I have had a chance to sit down and tweak / mess with this guitar I have come to the conclusion that this premium Ibanez is a really great guitar. The neck has a very solid and pro feel to it. The frets are dressed very well with no fret sprout at all. Of course for $1350 you kind of expect that.

I had to tighten the truss rod a bit as it had a bit too much relief to it. Adjusted the action to get it a bit lower to my taste and then checked the intonation. The intonation was slightly off on 2 of the strings. After adjusting that it plays like a dream.

The pickups sound good to me. Kind of a medium output that is suitable to many different styles.

I normally use 9s for the strings, but the 10s that are on this guitar feel fine so I am going to just keep it as is. Plus I have a couple sets of Ernie Ball 10s on the shelf and don't really have any 9s at the moment.

Overall I am very pleased with this guitar.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Love, love, love my AZ. I’ve got a 24 fret one with two Hyperion humbuckers. The pickups do not disappoint in any way. Bold, clear, split amazingly well, and handle a lot of diverse styles/tones.

JamesW

I like mine really well. It may need a little setting up and adjustments out of the box, but I am really pleased with it.
How do you find the build quality? I had been thinking of getting one for a few years since they are always quite well-priced but have always been dissuaded by others who had some issues with the fit and finish etc.

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
How do you find the build quality? I had been thinking of getting one for a few years since they are always quite well-priced but have always been dissuaded by others who had some issues with the fit and finish etc.
There's nothing wrong with the fit and finish on mine. I have heard that the Prestige line have a slightly better feel to them but I have no issues with mine.

...I actually think the AZ is copying Ibanez. It's like a mix of the RG and Roadstar...
Yes, similar thought when first saw AZ - Ibanez rotated out some of their older designs and freshened them up a little.

I think I understand the implication in the OP. If so, when I saw those guitars I thought they were influenced by early '80s Ibanez, rightly or wrongly.

Edit: Not that it's that important - RT series was the one I kept forgetting - early '90s. Blazer, Roadstar, RT

Last edited:

Mangy71

Platinum Supporting Member
Seymour Duncan Hyperion Pickups
Roasted Maple Neck
Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets
Gotoh T1502 Tremolo
Gotoh MG-T Locking Tuners

I guess I hadn't been keeping up with new gear very well. Until about a week ago I didn't even know there was an AZ series.

I wonder who Ibanez is trying to emulate with the AZ series. They look awful familiar.

I love my AZ! I think they were going for a Suhr Modern vibe.

Trending Topics