• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD: Ibanez RG550RF - why didn't I do this years ago?

I've been feeling the need for a genuine Super Strat. I went shopping on the weekend with a view to pick up either a Charvel Pro-Mod or an Ibanez RG550. The Ibanez was interesting because they are MIJ, whereas the Charvel looks almost classy (especially with the Fender headstock). I tested a Pro-Mod and a RG550RF and the Ibanez won out. There was some influence from my young son who quickly picked the Ibanez as the winner. I'm glad I took his advice.

I had a 2013 Charvel Pro-Mod a few weeks back but there were some minor issues that bugged me so I let that one go. However I loved the sound of the JB in the bridge. This RG550 sounds very similar to the JB, so that's good.

Build wise, I am impressed - the frets look well dressed and there are no sharp ends as reported by some users. I had to tweak the tremolo strings to get the trem level but that's the extent of any adjustments I've made. The action is low enough for me and it could probably go lower.

I love the wide/thin neck, it just feels right to me with the obligatory jumbo frets (shame they aren't stainless). The Charvel felt distinctively clubby by comparison (which it's not, I know).

Sound wise, other than balls to the wall high gain bridge tones that this RG excels with, it is very flexible. It doesn't quite do Strat quack in positions 2 and 4 but it is a very nice inbetween sound. You can certainly play more than metal with this thing.

I'm no shredder but I love this guitar. It might be the closest I've come to a Swiss Army knife. My other guitars should be concerned.

EDIT: colour/designation corrected.

Last edited:

Dave L

These are modern classics for a reason, I´m not surprised that you´re enjoying it. I had one back in 1998 or so, but I take it this is a current one from that Genesis series?

twoheadedboy

I've been feeling the need for a genuine Super Strat. I went shopping on the weekend with a view to pick up either a Charvel Pro-Mod or an Ibanez RG550. The Ibanez was interesting because they are MIJ, whereas the Charvel looks almost classy (especially with the Fender headstock). I tested a Pro-Mod and a RG550RF and the Ibanez won out. There was some influence from my young son who quickly picked the Ibanez as the winner. I'm glad I took his advice.

I had a 2013 Charvel Pro-Mod a few weeks back but there were some minor issues that bugged me so I let that one go. However I loved the sound of the JB in the bridge. This RG550 sounds very similar to the JB, so that's good.

Build wise, I am impressed - the frets look well dressed and there are no sharp ends as reported by some users. I had to tweak the tremolo strings to get the trem level but that's the extent of any adjustments I've made. The action is low enough for me and it could probably go lower.

I love the wide/thin neck, it just feels right to me with the obligatory jumbo frets (shame they aren't stainless). The Charvel felt distinctively clubby by comparison (which it's not, I know).

Sound wise, other than balls to the wall high gain bridge tones that this RG excels with, it is very flexible. It doesn't quite do Strat quack in positions 2 and 4 but it is a very nice inbetween sound. You can certainly play more than metal with this thing.

I'm no shredder but I love this guitar. It might be the closest I've come to a Swiss Army knife. My other guitars should be concerned.

EDIT: colour/designation corrected.
One of the best guitar designs ever, and that's a great color. I played a ton of gigs on an RG520QS, and I have also owned the 550, 560, 570, 7620 and 770DX. Loved them all. I wish I had hung onto the 770DX, as the original ones are getting hard to find in decent shape.

Last edited:

Strummerfan

That's nice. I don't like Floyd's myself but Ibanez really knock it out of the park, especially with the Japanese built guitars. Play it hard, play it happy.

Gclef

The RG design is a modern classic.

The rg550 is king of the classics.

I've never owned one of those, but do own the following
Rg520qs in Trans black
Rg921 in red quiltQ
Rg3xxv in candy apple red.. (an rg565 tribute)

They are all different, all awesome, but the 520 is still a cut above the rest.

glockaxis

I love my Desert Yellow RG550 Genesis. After a revolving door of guitars, I finally found the one I'm most content with, and the one I always pick up to play. Rock steady and comfortable with a neck that fits my hands perfectly. While I do love looking at and trying other guitars, I have no desire to purchase anymore since getting the 550. Congrats!

MrTAteMyBalls

Very nice guitar. I discovered superstrats about 2 years ago and I feel like I wasted my whole life playing Gibson's. An MIJ RG is on my list for sure. Currently have a Made in Taiwan Yamaha RGX321 that is fantastic.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom