NGD in about three weeks ...

Jim Soloway

I was told today that I'm about three weeks out on a heavily customized Heritage H575. The big modification to the spec is a 25.5" scale length. Toss in solid maple carved top, back and sides, X bracing, a neck pickup only (a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary), locking Hipshot tuners, no pick guard, no strap buttons, the world's coolest custom knobs, a few other technical odds and ends and a C# standard tuning and it should be a true one of a kind guitar.

For someone who has spent most of the last twenty years rating about the evils of arch top guitars, I'm really excited. It should be the perfect guitar for where my playing is at these days.

Here are some progress shots that I've received along the way.

And of course, the knobs (custom made by David King)

Jim Soloway

incredible looking! but why no strap buttons?
I know myself well and I wanted it to be so personalized that I won't consider selling it the first time I get bored (and I always do at some point). So I made all of the configuration decisions to be specific to my personal needs. My main guitars are all permanently tuned to C# these days, hence the 25.5" scale length. I don't use a bridge pickup, so why have one? I'm not comfortable with a raised pick guard and I always remove them so why not just start without one? I wanted to max out the acoustic resonance, so X-braced instead of parallel. And I always play an arch top sitting down with no strap, so why put two extra holes in the guitar? There won't be any doubt whose guitar this is or what it's purpose may be. It's even going to have my personal favorite neck carve (the Warmoth 58 round back) and frets (jumbos).

iim7v7im7

Jim,

I am glad to see you back in the archtop camp again. I hope the boys in Kalamazoo come through for you in spades. BTW, Scot B. is shipping me my RE200 next week.

:)

Bob

ESP-335

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice, Jim.

So what string gauge do you use on the 25.5 inch scale tuned to C#?

Thanks, Ed

Jim Soloway

Very nice, Jim.

So what string gauge do you use on the 25.5 inch scale tuned to C#?

Thanks, Ed
Thomastik Swing series 12 to 50 on my arch tops and GHS Brite Flats 12 on 54 with a Nickel Compound for the 54 on my planks. I like things pretty light.

Jim Soloway

I just got word from Heritage ... The new guitar is DONE! Shipping tomorrow or Monday. I'll have photos to post later this afternoon. This is SO COOL!

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
Truly beautiful guitar, Jim! Looking forward to seeing some non-cellphone pictures of it! ;)

Trending Topics