NGD: Incoming LP 60's Tribute

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rabbuhl, Feb 13, 2015.

1. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I swore no more guitars but I gave into GAS for a vintage sunburst Gibson Les Paul '60s Tribute. I has not yet arrived but I am looking forward to a LP with for jam sessions. I really like that the guitar comes with BB1 & BB2 pickups and Grover tuners. What is the opinion on these?

2. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

3. slogger

slogger Member

I had BB 2's in a all Mahogany LP. I thought they sounded great! Classic PAF LP tones. Congrats and enjoy.

4. FredZepp

FredZepp Member

I'd expect the one you've got coming in to be a really good choice. Lightweight with a great neck and great tone. The Tribute that I own is a bit different than yours in finish and pickups.. but I would think that you've picked a winner.
    I picked up a Goldtop 60s Tribute that had been converted to mini-humbuckers and really like that one. Mine is unusually light (6.8 lbs) and that felt odd at first and the mini-buckers needed some adjusting to get correctly dialed in. But now I feel like it was a great buy and really dig what it does, it's a little different than my regular LP's.... and that was what appealed to me .
    I've got a BB1 in a Heritage guitar and really like the underwound pickup at the neck. I agree that those pickups should work well in your Tribute.... Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Thanks FredZepp. I already have a 50's Tribute which came with P90s. I like the neck and weight of this one. Here is a picture of it.

[​IMG]

6. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Nice guitar there. Reminds me on what I have as a favourite of mine. Absolutely love the HoneyBurst Amber top. Nice grained too. Plus Natural back.

Your looks nice and dark- really nice stain job on that one. I thought I'd be stocked just having my first and only, then got it's matching partner with HB's thou in Dark Rimburst and then two GT's in each format.

And I still look out for them...

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had one of these, same year, same color. That's one I'd like to have again. Nice guitars.

8. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Thanks everyone! I have a G0 and it is a great guitar. I am looking forward to this one to fill another niche.

9. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

The LP 60's Tribute arrived today safe and sound. Overall it is a nice guitar and plays well. My only concern is that it weights between 8.6 to 8.8 pounds depending on which scale I use. My LP 50's Tribute is really light at 7.0 pounds and my G0 is 8.2 pounds. When I look at Sweetwater a lot of LPs are 9 pounds or heavier so maybe I am spoiled? Is 8.8 pounds heavy for weight-relieved guitar?

[​IMG]

10. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I have been playing the guitar and it is a keeper. I am okay with the weight because I see the average weight for a Les Paul is around 8.86 pounds. I can also find lots of Les Paul's for sale which are 9.0 to 10.0 pounds. The body on this guitar is two-piece which is also nice. Here are some better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

I have an LP Traditional that has the 9-hole weight relief and it weighs in a 9lbs even. It's my heaviest guitar and I wouldn't buy a guitar that heavy again. That being said I love it! It's my number one. So I think yours at 8.6-8.8lbs is pretty good.

I have a BB1 in the neck and BB2 in the bridge but I swapped the magnets. I put an UOA5 in the neck and a polished A2 in the bridge. I think the BB series are decent.

12. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I was hoping for a lighter one. However, after a reality check I can see I did pretty good. I have not yet heard the BB1/BB2 through an amp. I am pretty sure I will be pleased.

13. Musicman

Musicman Member

Nice one congrats!

14. brandass

brandass Member

Congrats!

Weight is typical for that model, have a 50s at about the same, a bit heavy but love it.

Hope it delivers plugged in!

15. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Thanks everyone!

My 50's Tribute is ridiculously light at 7.0 lbs. The 60's Tribute sounds great plugged in. It has a nice feel to it.