NGD: It ain't pretty...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mudder, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Mudder

Mudder Member

But it's the one I'll take home. 1980 MIJ Yamaha SL800S. Except for one volume knob being cracked it's in great shape. Great player, solid mahogany w/maple cap, rosewood board, the finish work is excellent. Pickups are stock Yamaha and have a great vintage tone. Tone pots push/pull to split each pickup, when the switch is in the middle the neck volume acts as a master volume control with a sweep control between 3-7, really a neat control.

All in all a killer guitar. It's pretty heavy but that helps get great LP type tones. And a steal of a deal too. Under $500 shipped w/hard case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seajay

seajay Member

3. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Man- give her a break! She's beautiful! Love those MIJ Les Pauls and the studio Lords were a great value. Rather have her than a lot of other crap floating around. Good deal as well. Sometimes the homelier gals work harder! [​IMG]

4. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm digging on her looks too! But that neck volume pot working with the both pickups on set up is what really caught my eye. I need that for my '78 LP Custom. Maybe I can Google up a schematic.

5. Mudder

Mudder Member

It's not that she's ugly, in fact the more I play the more I love it. It's just not a pretty piece of wood on top.

Absolutely a great guitar. I've been watching Grecos, Tokai, Burny, Edwards, etc waiting for a deal to come around and it seems a lot of people are thinking the same.

I've never run into this wiring scheme for the volume pot. I'm not sure how it works, but I could take the back plate off and get a picture if anyone is interested.

6. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

I would like to see under the cover. I just searched over in the Guit Tech folder, but didn't find anything there. My LP is getting dusty because I play my Strat and Jr, each with a single volume control.

7. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I too think she's a looker. But even if she weren't, how often while ripping a solo do you look down at your guitar and say how beautiful it is? With one very significant exception, every looker guitar I've ever owned is now gone. :AOK

8. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Dig: Studio Lord. Nice pc/congrats.

9. go7

go7 Member

Great score and congrats.