NGD (its an SG,...pretty cool)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Devin, May 15, 2011.

What should be done to this SG?

1. change pickups, bridge and wiring harness

2. change harness and bridge

3. change bridge (faber)

4. change nothing! and buff it!

5. change everything! and buff it!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Some, any, of you may remember a post i did about the early faded-special series of SG. This example was in my neighborhood and i had to check it out... and then i took it home...;) I like allot of things about this guitar, but the fretboard (not great pics sorry) is so cool. I know its dyed ebony but it sounds great with this guitar and LOOKS like the zero grain black-est black you could imagine, the eye slides off it. Frets are level, dressing is right, plastic nut...:huh could do better. Its one of the lightest instruments i have ever owned; 4peice body looks like two fwiw. Pickups sound great (hotter than Im used to but that can be fun) I think this will be an ideal gigging guitar.

Some of you suggested that $600 was too high to pay and Im satisfied with the deal i got at $550 w/hardshell case. Im contemplating upgrades, this is getting the new setup +real nut no matter what. Does that bridge look like an ABR-1 to anyone else? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. seth3

seth3 Member

Looks great!

The bridge looks like an aftermarket piece, though I am not sure what it is.

Have fun! I am voting for the first option, but what I am mostly suggesting is change the pickups. I put P94's in mine, and it sounds great!

3. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

4. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Change nothing! Don't buff it! was not an option... I personally like the satin look and LOVE the satin neck feel, and if you like the pickups, don't change nuthin', and you'll stay at $550 into the guitar!

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Have the tech check the harness to make sure everything tests within specs, and change components only if they don't measure up.

Also: have them check the bridge posts to make sure they're seated properly and aren't pulling forward. A common problem on production SGs.

Good luck and enjoy.

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Fill the grain and put a decent finish on it! Add neck binding!

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I just picked one of these up from TGP'r a couple weeks ago. 2002 I think is the only year to come with the ebony board and crescent moon enlays. The thing looks great.

Torn on this one. I put it up against my Tele and the SG went screaming out the door. (Unfair. The Tele has replaced pups and the strings are 12-56's. The 10-48's on the SG cried like a little girl.)

I think it needs new pickups, so I guess I would vote that way.

You don't have the option to sell on the poll, but if this does not grow on me quickly, that is the option I am gonna do.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Put in 500K volume pots, but leave the rest as-is. I had one of those with the moon inlays and it was a terrific guitar. Just couldn't take the inlays though.

9. nocoJack

nocoJack Member

I have the 2002 with crescent moons as well. Great guitar congrats!

10. small axe

small axe Member

i love it just the way it is via billy joel

11. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I picked up one of those Special Faded SGs for $400 last year, cool guitar. I put PU covers and rings on it, but eventually I'm going to put in different pups.

12. Gray

Gray Member

Might as well buy a classic at that point.

13. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

'Zactly!!

14. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I had the same guitar with the moons, all I did was add pickup covers....and it looked and played great.

15. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

I'd leave it as it.

Not even buff it out.

16. jp1977

jp1977 Member

keep it the way it is and use it as a 550 beater to gig with. there is nothing wrong with the stock gibson pickups that come in those, I believe that they are the same spec as what used to come stock in lp customs and sg standards (490-498t)