NGD its killin me not to open the case

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bassman, Jan 30, 2008.

1. bassman

bassman Member

Just came in about an hour ago . Its a lefty Washburn x50pro with a cognac quilted top. Set neck but looks like a neck thru ,tone pros,buzz fieten tuning system ,Duncan 59 in the neck and a custom custom in the bridge.On the box it said don't open for 24 hours stored in a very cold location. Do i really have to wait till tomorrow?

2. mlongano

mlongano Member

I think 24 hours is overkill...maybe four hours, then crack it open a bit and let the air circulate for another hour.

3. GDking

GDking Member

Depends, if it has a really thin neck and you are in a very cold climate I think that advice is sound.

If it has a thick stable neck on it I would crack the case open and stick something in there to hold it open just a little and wait a 1/2 hour to an hour.

4. bassman

bassman Member

thanks for the advice I think I'd rather be safe than sorry . I waited 5days whats another. Its still torture though

5. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

If it's not a nitro finish, let it sit for a few hours and open it. 24 hours is insane.

6. GDking

GDking Member

It is not the finish it is a thin neck that is the worry to me. Lot of washburns have super thin fast necks for shredding and the like.

7. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

When you received it, did it go from delivery truck right into your house? Or did it sit outside for a while?

How cold was it in your area when you received it?

I firmly believe even if it was outside in zero degree cold, once it's been in your house for 3 hours, you can open it and it will be fine. It's not like dropping an ice cube in a warm drink. As soon as you brought it in, it started warming up, and after 3 hours, it's going to be pretty close to room temperature.

Do what you feel is best of course.

8. bassman

bassman Member

I was home when it was dropped off. The tracking info said the truck picked it up about 9 hours before.As GD said it does have a thin neck for shredding.Thanks for your input.

9. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Thin neck - it's got a metal truss rod and it's about a hundred of pounds tension from the strings. It will be fine.

Sounds like a really nice guitar, can't wait to see it.

10. DavidE

DavidE Member

Once you crack the case at all, that cold is in there and if the finish is going to crack, that will do it.

Here's what I do. Open the end of the box. Reach in and feel the case. If the case is cold, let it sit in the box for an hour. Then take the case out of the box and let that sit until it's room temperature. That may take hours. You should be able to open the case at that point, but what's another hour going to hurt?

11. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I just opened my new Fender CS '60 Strat that's nitro after waiting 24h upon the advice of others. It was quite cold when I received last night so I waiting with great excitement and it was worth it........perfect condition!

12. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I only waited about 3 hours to play my new old G&L... it was still cold strapped around my neck, but I warmed it up right quick! But, if you are really concerned wait it out. Take pics and post when you are ready though, sounds like a looker.
    :BEER