NGD- Jazzmaster!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ripple, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

Let's go Surfing!!!

Always wanted one of these guys, and today's the day! It's a MIM Classic Player Jazzmaster. [​IMG]

First impressions:
    - She's real pretty. Love that classic Triburst/Tort look.
    - She's big! Like Jazz Bass sized ... wasn't quite expecting that.
    - Sounds nothing like my Strats and Teles. Very unique tones and vibe, which is exactly what I wanted in this guitar.
    - The palm muted, reverb drenched, surf tones will leave you weak kneed.
    - The rhythm pickup circuit is cool as hell. I can see lots of practical use for this feature. Kinda wish Stratocasters came equipped with this special circuit on the bridge pickup.

And at the risk of overloading you with pics, here she is with my other two Triburst Fenders. Now that's a sexy trio if I do say so myself!
    [​IMG]

More impressions to come after I've had a good long test drive; but right now I have a date with a certain Mexican Surfer Girl.

BANZAI!!!!!

2. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

3. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

I wholeheartedly agree w/you about the rhythm circuit (moreover, it plays really well w/fuzz and OD, especially on bright and/or Voxish amps)

... and give Rosa a kiss on her rosebud for me.

4. ripple

OK - after getting some serious quality time with the Jazzmaster last night, here are a few more notes:

- Once I set the intonation properly and adjusted the action, I couldn't put the guitar down. It rings with incredible clarity and perfect pitch anywhere on the neck. Clean tones bathed in reverb and tremolo were intoxicating, and the resonance above the 12th fret is impressive. Even though it's at the upper end of the MIM Fender cost spectrum, it's still an incredible value with gorgeous fit & finish. I can find no flaws in fretwork, finish or mechanics (even with the bridge saddles that are typically a trouble spot on JMs).

- Lots of tones available on the axe. And I mean some widely disparate tones: from fat warm and muted jazz tones to thin, twangy and shrill with lots of harmonic overtones. The bridge pickup is very bright, but quite usable with tone pot adjustments. I almost shaved off an ear cranking it through my JTM45, before I figured out that I needed to roll off the tone pot before switching to the bridge pickup on the fly. BLIZZARD OF NAILS!!! Holy Crapoli!

-The in between pickup position is ridiculously jangly, and Tele tones can be coaxed as well. However, the real magic is in the neck pickup. I can almost stay on that neck pickup entirely and just work the rhythm/lead circuit for most of my tones and be quite satisfied.

- I own a few electrics and typically remove the trem bar on them. I never use the whammy bar, but the trem mechanism on this Jazzmaster is smooth, sweet, subtle and impossible to ignore. I'm already overusing it.

I'm really loving this guitar, and although it will not replace my Tele and Strat and my main workhorse stage guitars, it will certainly see some stage time. I have quite a few tunes on the setlist in mind that it will compliment perfectly.

Highly recommended if you're looking for a Fender with a different, albeit very cool vibe.

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Congrats, great guitar!
    I totally agree with you on the Jazzmaster trem. Very usable!
    If you ever feel like upgrading anything, the first thing you should do is get a Mastery bridge. Really makes a big difference!

6. ripple

Thanks for the tip on the Mastery bridge. I saw that mentioned quite a few times in my reading and will have to investigate further.

7. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

cool! I see someone loves the bursts ;) =D

8. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

The Classic Player uses a TOM bridge so a Mastery does not swap right in. On top of that I don't feel that the Mastery is the default solution anymore since the Staytrem came out. It used to be the Mastery was the only quality replacement available but that's not the case anymore. I prefer the Staytrem for looks, functionality and price as well. It is significantly cheaper than the Mastery AND it has a replacement for the Classic Player bridge. That said I wouldn't automatically replace the TOM as it solves many of the issues that the original bridge has. If it's working for you no need to replace it.

9. indyrunner03

indyrunner03 Member

Congrats on the JM! That's what my next guitar purchase will be, as well.

10. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Congrats, that's nice.

I recently got my first JM in a trade and it was a revelation..very unique for someone like me who always had Teles and Strats. Love the rhythm circuit too. Should have gotten one a long time ago.

Mine has the standard JM bridge..no issues with it as of yet.

11. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Definitely worth getting the Mastery. Makes a huge difference, and causes the JM to come more "alive".

12. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Congrats on the surfy new guitar! :aok

I used to have one of those a few years back. I liked the screw in tremolo arm much better than the push in version on the American Jazzmasters & Jags.

13. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Try some Fuzz on it, mine sounds great with an Iron Bell. And a Bogner Burnley. Very versatile guitar - and I don't even play surf.

14. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Was not aware it was using a TOM bridge. I've heard of the Staytrem, but I've never bothered to check it out. Definitely interested in it now though!

Of course, only ever change something if you feel it's not working the way you want.

15. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I've had my strat for 10 years this coming July.

I've had my JM for 3 years this coming July.

My JM is my #1 guitar. I will be buried with it. Tuning is perfect. It sounds great, albeit a bit noisy but that's likely due to the type of music I play.

16. kennybro

kennybro Member

Sweet! Enjoy the offset experience. It's a gas!

17. idma

idma Member

oh man. I am starting to love the jazzmaster w/ P90s. But I hear there are mechanical problems with the Jazzmaster. Like intonation goes out real easy, and the trem is not to be played with roughly.

If its not a problem....i can see myself getting one. Maybe the Squier J Mascis jazzmaster cause it looks so nice

18. rummy

rummy Member

Looking good! Congrats.

19. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

The intonation problem mostly exists with Jazzmasters using the Mustang bridge. The Mastery solves this problem, and apparently the Staytrem does as well, though I've never tried it myself. The OPs JM uses a Tune-O-Matic, which shouldn't be as bad the Mustang bridge. Of course, this varies greatly depending on guitar and player.
    The trem isn't too be played roughly because it's more subtle. You'll get it once you play it.

20. ripple

I had concerns about this also, and there wasn't a lot about the Mexican Made Jazzmaster bridge issues out there for research on the web, like there was with MIJ and AVRI models.

However, I can unequivocally state that with the tune-o-matic bridge, this thing intonates as good or better than ANY guitar I own, and that includes all my American made Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, and SGs.

Honestly, I'm kinda floored by how well it stays in tune, considering the unusual vibrato mechanism. After two evenings of serious test driving (6+ hours total), I'm thoroughly impressed with how Fender has addressed the bridge, vibration and tuning issues with the Classic Player models.