• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD Jim Root Strat

3 tone strat

Just picked up a new Jim Root stratocaster recently to go with my Jim Root Telecaster. In full disclosure, while I am a fan of Jim Root, I did not buy this just because this is one of his sig guitars. I had been looking for an all black shred machine for some drop A shenanigans and had been looking at some Ibanez, Jackson and Charvel options. None of them had what I was looking for: All black, ebony fingerboard, hardtail and a black pickguard. Some were close but unfortunately had some type of Floyd Rose variation and had a rosewood fingerboard (I hate rosewood fingerboards on black guitars). I was hesitant at first since I did not want to have overlap with his telecaster that I had in terms of function and options (both have EMG 60 and 81s, drop tuning etc.)but once I played this I knew I had to have it:

The first thing that I noticed is that the neck felt slimmer and more like my '04 American Strat than my JR tele and immediately it felt like home. The tele neck feels thicker and wider for some reason even though they are supposed to have the same specs. I think this might be due to the strat having a bit more attention to the neck than the tele, it just feels like they spent more time on the neck. Don't get me wrong the JR tele is an amazing guitar in it's own righ but the strat "feels" higher quality, which it should since it costs more. Compared to the tele: the tuners feel higher quality and stay in tune better, the pickups are clearer and more "precise" and the fretboard has that attention to detail and broken feeling that is missing from the tele. It also feels lighter and melds with me better.

Once it was plugged in is where it really separated from the tele. Note sustain is absolutely ridiculous... laughably ridiculous. I felt like a crazy person at Sweetwater when I struck that first cord and then burst out laughing at how much sustain there was, it was mind blowing that this was possible. Note definition is much more snappy and clear than the tele and seems to be more organic. I really like the EMGs (60,81) for standard tuning and this guitar might actually stay in E standard with how clear and great it sounds.

My favorite part though of the guitar is the head stock and the wood grain, particularly under the Fender logo and I like the 70's style head stock it is pretty cool if you ask me. I wish the picture turned out better..

All and all I am incredibly happy with this guitar and would highly suggest it to anyone who may be interested in one of these. the craftsmanship is superb and it feels absolutely outstanding.

My little fender family:
[/URL][/IMG]

The Rig:

Last edited:

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats, I really like those Jim Root models. Have you ever compared the Squier Jim Root Tele to your Fender Tele?

3 tone strat

Congrats, I really like those Jim Root models. Have you ever compared the Squier Jim Root Tele to your Fender Tele?
I thought that the Squire version was made very well, particularly at that price point they are a killer deal! Of the two that I played, the only things that stuck out was the pickups were muddier than the EMGs and the necks were not as nicely done . No tuning issues when I played them which was a nice plus. Switch out the pickups for ones more your taste and you have a solid guitar in the Squire. Squire seems to make really nice sig models and the ones I played definitely fit that.

Simto

Nice! Congrats, that's a very sleek looking guitar.
That's a cool rig you got there! I'm sure that strat sounds massive through that Rockerverb!

Just have to say, I sold a Jim Root Tele in the store I used to work in and it was one of the ****ing meanest sounding guitars I've ever heard.

3 tone strat

Nice! Congrats, that's a very sleek looking guitar.
That's a cool rig you got there! I'm sure that strat sounds massive through that Rockerverb!

Just have to say, I sold a Jim Root Tele in the store I used to work in and it was one of the ****ing meanest sounding guitars I've ever heard.
Thank you! I wish I knew what it sounded like through my Rockerverb but it is currently not working. I can not find a reliable local tech to work on it. My first post on here a few months back actually was about it dying and needing to get it to a tech. 2 techs and a few months later it still hasn't been fixed...:(

Simto

Thank you! I wish I knew what it sounded like through my Rockerverb but it is currently not working. I can not find a reliable local tech to work on it. My first post on here a few months back actually was about it dying and needing to get it to a tech. 2 techs and a few months later it still hasn't been fixed...:(
That sucks man! Rockerverbs are beast and I'm sure both your Jim Root guitars will sound insane through it

jay_red

I really like the Jim Root Fenders even though I'm not a fan of his bands, his interviews and way he talks about his gear have made me interested in his guitars. The same thing with the John 5 Telecaster, don't care for his actual music, but he is such a down to earth guy, and amazing player I would love to get one of those tele's

Not to revive an old thread but I’m just happy I came across this.

Like you, I love my JR (in my case) Jazzmaster, and was looking for something to compliment it. Last week, I found a mint condition black/maple Telecaster, that looks amazing, but it just doesn’t live up to the Jazzmaster’s quality. I’ve been debating taking it to my tech and having him put in a neck shim, level the crowns/edges, roll the fretboard, replace the saddle hardware.... Or just buy the Strat.

I ordered one yesterday. I’ll compare the two and keep the one that speaks to me, and from the sound of it, that’ll be the Strat. I’ll be sad to give up the Telecaster that I wanted for so long... but it sounds like it’ll be worth it.

Gilwater

I've been on the hunt for a C# shredder for awhile. I've gone through a few trying to find one that I really connected with. A couple of my favorites were the LTD EC-100 and a USA G&L Rampage. I liked them, but couldn't love it.

I'm still in my honeymoon stage with my Root Stratocaster, but it immediately feels like a home that I'm used to. The neck carve and finish is great. The body contours are what I'm most comfortable with. And the satin finish not only looks awesome, but it feels good. The G&L had a heavy poly coat that felt like cold hard plastic. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but I didn't care for it.

I've always preferred passive pups to active, however I'm finding that the EMGs really shine with the lower tunings.

Mahogany body, locking tuners, strap locks, string through body, Ebony board, one volume knob. It's stripped down to the bare essentials and they did all of the essentials right.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom