NGD: Joe Perry '59 Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skhan007, Feb 28, 2015.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Just got this beauty shipped to me from Japan.

In order to be fully compliant and to avoid hurtful and potentially long-term psychological damage from internet strangers, I've decided to adhere to the strict rulings of new guitar days, as dictated by the forum bro protocol, also known as the "Brotocol."

According to the Brotocol, when receiving a new custom shop Les Paul (other brands vary in terms of procedure), you must receive the package and place it at a 15 degree angle, upright, on a couch (not leather), facing North by North East. The specific direction may vary, depending on the vernal or autumnal equinox.

[​IMG]

The package must stay in this position for no less than 36 hours. This is partly due to the 16 hour time zone difference between the East Coast of the US and Japan. During this waiting time, the Brotocol states that it is permissible to procreate, eat gluten-free pasta, and review Pete Rose's stats from his '77 season.

After such time has passed, it is then stated in the Brotocol that the box may be opened. The box is placed parallel with the equator (if you're not sure about this, you may use google Earth to align your box with satellite imagery), and only left-to-right box cutter incisions can be made. It's recommended (but not mandatory) that you place the spagehetti strainer (used for your gluten-free pasta) on your head while making these incisions with the box cutter. This helps to negate any loose ionic charges from the box into your home atmosphere. It is required, however, by the Brotocol, that when said box cutting is completed, you sing the lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama (first verse only) in Greek (google translate is your friend)...

[​IMG]

After carefully removing from the box (and reassembling the Japanese newspaper in order of page numbers), the case is placed in the center of a Persian rug (due to import/export restrictions, Canadian rugs are permitted as substitutes per the Brotocol). I'm just grateful that this is not a Leap Year. The procedures are far more complicated if I were to do this on Feb. 29.

[​IMG]

Making sure that the case is equidistant from each of the floor heating vents of the room (the return duct is not important in this step, per the Brotocol), one must wait 14.5 minutes between the opening of each latch on the case. You must start with latch to the left of the case handle, moving counter-clockwise (if in Australia, you may move clockwise), opening each latch while simultaneously reciting each name of every musician ever to have been in Black Sabbath. At this point, all male members of your immediate family gather around the case and in a feminine, very high falsetto voice, (no vibrato is required, but sometimes makes the moment more memorable), sing the notes to G major chord (you'll need at least three people for the root, major third, and fifth)...

[​IMG]

More photos to follow, as the Brotocol states that subsequent photos must be in a separate room (but not on a different level of the house)...

2. aeiou (why?)

aeiou (why?) Yeah, I'm a serious guy

:omg that top looks amazing!

3. beatnik

beatnik Member

Brotocol approved.

I can hear the little birdies tweeting their appreciation for the beauty of the ritual.

Gorgeous guitar "bra".

4. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

5. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

Brotocol calls for "clips to follow."

Beautiful instrument. Looks like a Duane Allman burst, just gorgeous. Was this purchased without playing it? Just curious.

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

7. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Nice! Looks a lot like the RI Joe plays.

8. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I'm a big fan of his Boneyard Les Paul.

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Beauty, congrats!

10. telest

telest Member

Good Lord that is beautiful! Enjoy it. :dude

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Simply gorgeous! Play it in good health. :dude

12. Telefrkd

Telefrkd Member

Schwwinnnggg.......:)

13. Franktone

Franktone Member

That's an unbelievably nice beauty.

14. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Oh man I LOVE darker bursts like that. Absolutely stunning.

15. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Can you send photos to verify that you put a spaghetti strainer on you head? Did it have a chin strap?

By the way nice guitar!

Steve

16. skhan007

Thanks, Gents!

Here are some gratuitous couch pics and case candy...Using no flash captures how the guitar truly looks in-person.

I have never owned a non-chambered Les Paul this light weight before- 8 lbs. 2 oz!!

I'm told the lightest weight woods and nicest tops are prioritized for Japan. This guitar is evidence of that practice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. skhan007

Yes, purchased without me playing it, but I had a fully confident tone report prior. By the way, this is my first exposure to the new Gibson Custom Bucker Alnico III pickups- they are REALLY good. Head and shoulders above Burstbuckers. Brighter, less compressed/more open sounding, and I hear more of the uncolored properties of the wood and acoustic resonance compared to my R8 with Burst Buckers.

Thanks! Well, the Brotocol did not specify taking a spaghetti strainer selfie and a chin strap was not required. It was tough to decide on which strainer, however, as the plastic ones are lighter but the original metal ones just have "that tone" about them.

Clips to follow! Can't deviate from the Brotocol, guys!!