NGD: K-Line Truxton Special Inca Silver

trojanhov

Well this is technically not a new guitar DAY per se, but it is a new guitar that I traded a beloved Protocaster 59 tee type for. The protocaster was an amazing guitar in every respect, but I’ve been jonesing for a P90 guitar for a long long time, and when the right one came to surface, I had to jump.

My other guitar is a Gretsch g6112 TCB-Jr which has sentimental value so I refuse to let it go. It also helps that it is an amazing Instrument. In the past 1-2 years I’ve gone on this guitar trading journey/safari and have owned and traded the following guitars:

fender AVRI 52
Suhr Classic t pro
Prs stripped 58
Protocaster 59 tee type

And now the K-Line Truxton

My amp is a Dr. Z Z-LUX 1x12. I’ve had the opportunity to play out with the K-Line about 5 times now and I’m just not able to put this thing down. Even when I had my protocaster, I always gravitated towards playing my gretsch for gigs for some reason. My gretsch hasn’t gotten much attention lately. I always thought I was a tele guy, and I still really love teles, but the P90s that Chris wound for this guitar sound full, airy, and present, but sound awesome overdriven.

Chris is also just a class act. He made a few pickguards for me. His customer service is second to none. Easily got a hold of him on Instagram, turnaround for the pickguards were fast, and the price was extremely reasonable.

my plan is to keep this one around. The workmanship on this guitar easily rivals the likes of danocaster, Whitfill, etc. I’ve played examples of a lot of other makers. Extremely happy. Buy your k-line with confidence!

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Super cool guitar - great color! K-Line guitars, and pickups, are excellent - Chris does great work!

Dude, you're STOKED!

Thanks, Dana O!

trojanhov

Super cool guitar - great color! K-Line guitars, and pickups, are excellent - Chris does great work!

Dude, you're STOKED!

Thanks, Dana O!

Anytime I get a new guitar I think of what pickups I can swap in there to make it sound different/better. The only three guitars I haven’t done that for is my gretsch with its filtertrons, the protocaster I had which had a Don mare super sport neck and a peter Florance TE60bl bridge (best bridge pup ever) and this Truxton. The P90s on this one are slightly overwound per Chris. 8k neck 8.8k bridge, but they sound and feel just fine to me. Clean or dirty.

P90's Rule!

Well this is technically not a new guitar DAY per se, but it is a new guitar that I traded a beloved Protocaster 59 tee type for. The protocaster was an amazing guitar in every respect, but I’ve been jonesing for a P90 guitar for a long long time, and when the right one came to surface, I had to jump.

My other guitar is a Gretsch g6112 TCB-Jr which has sentimental value so I refuse to let it go. It also helps that it is an amazing Instrument. In the past 1-2 years I’ve gone on this guitar trading journey/safari and have owned and traded the following guitars:

fender AVRI 52
Suhr Classic t pro
Prs stripped 58
Protocaster 59 tee type

My amp is a Dr. Z Z-LUX 1x12. I’ve had the opportunity to play out with the K-Line about 5 times now and I’m just not able to put this thing down. Even when I had my protocaster, I always gravitated towards playing my gretsch for gigs for some reason. My gretsch hasn’t gotten much attention lately. I always thought I was a tele guy, and I still really love teles, but the P90s that Chris wound for this guitar sound full, airy, and present, but sound awesome overdriven.

Chris is also just a class act. He made a few pickguards for me. His customer service is second to none. Easily got a hold of him on Instagram, turnaround for the pickguards were fast, and the price was extremely reasonable.

my plan is to keep this one around. The workmanship on this guitar easily rivals the likes of danocaster, Whitfill, etc. I’ve played examples of a lot of other makers. Extremely happy. Buy your k-line with confidence!

Wow, stunning guitar! When I read your post I was thinking "Why would he trade a Protocaster '59 Tee for anything"? Then I scrolled down, looked at the photos and had my answer. I too love Tele's but P90's are the greatest sounding pickups for rock or country rock, IMHO. I've been thinking of a Tele build with P90's and the photos of your K-Line just pushed me over the edge. Time to start buying parts.

gkoelling

fender AVRI 52
Suhr Classic t pro
Prs stripped 58
Protocaster 59 tee type

OK, I'm jealous, damn it!

LBXPDX

Every time I pick up my K-Line San Bernardino I’m astounded. It is such a sublime guitar. While yours is stunning, I’m sure it actually plays better than it looks.

Sleepyhouse1422

Silver Supporting Member
OP, where would you put this on a “tone scale” compared to a more traditional tele? I currently play a traditional tele and have a Les Paul on lone. I love the way Teles play but I haven’t been loving my tone lately. I’m looking for something between the tele and les Paul. I’m thinking a p90 tele may be my best option.

trojanhov

Amen. A Tele and a Gretsch Duo Jet with Filtertrons is all I've ever needed.
OP, where would you put this on a “tone scale” compared to a more traditional tele? I currently play a traditional tele and have a Les Paul on lone. I love the way Teles play but I haven’t been loving my tone lately. I’m looking for something between the tele and les Paul. I’m thinking a p90 tele may be my best option.
So this is kind of the dilemma i've had over the years. I love tele's but there is always something missing. That's why i had the stint with the PRS Stripped 58, which is close to what a gibson LP would be like (similar scale length, etc). The Stripped 58 was an excellent guitar in every respect but like the Suhr, felt too "PERFECT." That in no way is a negative thing, because they were both a joy to play, but i tend gravitate towards more vibey guitars nowadays. Hence gretsch, protocaster, k-line.

The thing I didn't enjoy with the dual humbucker PRS Stripped 58 (and this is likely generalizeable to humbuckers as a whole) is the natural compression they provide and the mid character. The pickups were actually great, but i always felt myself thinking what pickup i can put in there to bring more dynamics and a single coil vibe. I since traded the prs for a Dr. Z Z-Lux and couldn't be happier, and the person with the PRS LOVES it.

What i realized is i really love the scale length of teles and the snap and pop it provides. The k-line truxton special is one of the best guitars i've played and it is the most balanced guitar i've ever played. I've never had a guitar that was equally enjoyable to play in the neck, middle, and bridge position LIVE. At home, my gretsch is awesome but i pretty much live on the bridge when i play out. The k line rings and cuts at all positions, and that might just be a dual P90 thing, but it's just such a joy to play. The truxton also rings like a grand piano when not plugged in...i'm not sure how much that makes a difference, but it is louder acoustically than my gretsch semi-hollow.

I haven't owned a dual p90 with a gibson scale length before, but i would imagine the biggest difference is going to be feel (d/t scale length) and maybe more clarity/presence? P90's in general seem to be very open, raw, and fat - in all the good ways. They are more noisy than other pups but honestly, when playing live my amps are mostly set clean and i get my dirt from pedals. That's how i've always done it, and it has literally never been a problem. Hope this helps man! I wouldn't think twice ordering one of these or the san bernardino model from K-line. Just top class quality and customer service.

trojanhov

Wow, stunning guitar! When I read your post I was thinking "Why would he trade a Protocaster '59 Tee for anything"? Then I scrolled down, looked at the photos and had my answer. I too love Tele's but P90's are the greatest sounding pickups for rock or country rock, IMHO. I've been thinking of a Tele build with P90's and the photos of your K-Line just pushed me over the edge. Time to start buying parts.
Dual p90's cover a ton of ground. Jazz, funk, fusion, rock, country, everything! Put that guitar together and send me a few pictures!

Julio Iguana

Amazing, cool guitar. Great color and P-90’s. Thanks for sharing. I learn about so many great small guitar builders on TGP.

P90's Rule!

Dual p90's cover a ton of ground. Jazz, funk, fusion, rock, country, everything! Put that guitar together and send me a few pictures!
Looking at the photos of your guitar got me looking at K-Line's. I read a number of reviews and a interview with Chris K and I'd love to try out one of his guitars. I'll post a photo or three when I add one to my collection.

C-4

fender AVRI 52
Suhr Classic t pro
Prs stripped 58
Protocaster 59 tee type

That is a terrific looking Tele! Wow!
I hope you really enjoy it a lot.
:)

P90's Rule!

I've gone through too many Les Paul Jr.'s and love the gritty raunchy rock tones they produce but they always leave me wanting more tuning stability and the snap of a 25.5 scale length. Does the 25.5 scale significantly alter the tone of an overdriven P90? I'm looking hard at K-Line Truxtons. I appreciate any info you can provide!

Trending Topics