NGD: Kiesel Vader V6X - Worth every cent

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jabby92, Jun 8, 2019.

1. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Interesting on the neck feel. Sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story. I think of you order the thicker neck option it's unreturnable, but I'll double-check with Kiesel on that

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah, my metallic finish made it non-returnable as well. No idea why, but it worked out for me. Anyway yeah, the neck on this is very SG like to me, rounded shoulders but definitely a D shape overall. If it was any thinner I would put it in the Wizard neck range. Feels great though, especially with the tung oil. You could probably request the Holdsworth profile, thats the thickest neck of the headless that they offer I believe.

guitrr and atquinn like this.
  3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Specs? Just curious.
    Headless are great on stage as they feel so compact.
    Try a Firebird for comparison:eek:

4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Holdsworth is:

1.67" wide @ nut; .82" thick @ 1st fret, .94" thick @ 12th fret, 2.25" wide @ 24th fret

Vader is:

1.67" wide @ nut; .792" thick @ 1st fret, .890" thick @ 12th fret, 2.25" wide @ 24th fret

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Thanks. Ok goodbye GAS.
    I really thought the H was much larger.:dunno

6. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Well, thats nearly the same size as an LP Traditional 50s profile.. don't know how much bigger you like to play.

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The Holldsworth profile would be fine by me. Don't know if they offer it on their bolt-on necks. I know they have some sort of larger neck option.

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

You could probably request it at a fee. They offer a ton of stuff that isn't advertised on the website/build tool. For example, you can make the Vader HSS, HSH, SSS even. Also coil taps and other stuff. You can also modify the pole piece colours and pickup colours/covers.. all that cosmetic stuff.

I honestly don't know who I was dealing with, I think it was Jeff, but he was super helpful all through.

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

So I got the trem/vibrato bar set up perfectly now. Now it will pop in and stay in place where I want it, but still able to pull it out. No screwing in and don't have to yank it out like a Strat pop-in arm. Its a tedious screw hole I had to access, but its totally fine once you find the sweet spot.

10. rhumbob

rhumbob Supporting Member

Beautiful. That's a lot of guitar for 1,500 bucks.

guitrr likes this.
  11. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Despite having numerous bad experiences with the company since Jeff took over, and swearing off the company after 25-ish years of good business, the Vader is loved enough that it still intrigues me. Unfortunately when standing on end, the end of the Vader looks a bit like a pair of slightly malformed (though symmetrical) boobs, with the strap buttons looking like little pasties or piercings. Now I just can't unsee it. So even if I were to go the Kiesel headless route, I'd have to go for the Osiris.

12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Lol, what? Thats a pretty random thing to pick out.. but OK. I had no problems dealing with Jeff.

Drawde likes this.
  13. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

I wish importing stuff from USA was cheaper, i'd get a kiesel in a heartbeat!

(btw i'm interested in seeing your full pedalboard OP, got any pics of that? :D)

14. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I could grab one, but what you see there is essentially all I have left on it these days. Sometimes I use an individual compressor, but 90% of the time I'm using the BB or the OCD with a delay. Amp has a good reverb as it is. The black pedal is just a tuner.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  15. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

They do the thick profile like the Holsworth, but they can also do double thick, which adds another .03", I am considering doing that on my next build.

16. Droliver

Droliver Member

Love the stuff Kiesel has done. That red is great! I like their more subtle builds rather then the tricked out woods they like to feature personally. Their Johnny Hyland tele style finishes are beautiful to me, I just wish the head stock was a little less pointy

17. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

For sure, I love the red metallic and it really changes up in different lighting nicely. I didn't want a really bright red and this one is a lot more laid back overall, at least IMO. I much prefer the plain stuff too, I already have a Gibson that has a fancy wood top and back so I wanted to change it up with the Kiesel. It also dropped the price down a good $500 this way, so its a win-win all around.

guitrr and Droliver like this.
  18. guitrr

guitrr Reverb Junkie Silver Supporting Member

I had them put the strap button on the upper horn behind the horn, a la Strandberg. It was a nominal up charge.

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I've never played a headless, and at 6'3, I'm afraid I'd look like Tiny Tim with his uke. What are the advantages that draw folks to headless in the first place? I mean, besides the unique look - I get that unique players like Belew would be interested in non-traditionals. What are the benefits for someone who is, for example, a bar-band cover player? I'm genuinely intrigued.

This red Vader is the first headless I've seen that's make me go 'huh...'.

guitrr likes this.
  20. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Main reasons I like it (since owning it) is its very easy to change strings, very well balanced weight wise and the tuning stability is also really good. Its also just really portable and takes up less space, etc. Its the first guitar I've owned and played that really feels like a 'modern' guitar and improvement in many areas. If you can get past the looks (which a lot of guys can't) I think you would like it. Once you get used to it, its sometimes hard to go back to a regular guitar.

guitrr and chrisjw5 like this.