NGD. KING OF THE GIBSONS! WOW!

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
First try with it! It sounds huge! :):):) More clips after I get used to it a bit and get in some shape! My fingers are already tiring out. :oops:
The guitar sounds better than I had even hoped for and would definately give my L5P at LEAST a run for its $$.
This is straight into my Louis Electric Columbia.

Strummerfan

I'm at a loss for words. This is officially the best NGD post since I've been on the site, and you are a very lucky man if it plays half as good as it looks. Is the Citation based on the Super 400? I'm not well versed in current archtop nomenclature. Enjoy that work of art!

Bach88s

First try with it! It sounds huge! :):):) More clips after I get used to it a bit and get in some shape! My fingers are already tiring out. :oops:
The guitar sounds better than I had even hoped for and would definately give my L5P at LEAST a run for its $$.

That guitar sounds stellar dude. U got a good beast there! And great playing.

Scottify

Beautiful piece there. Watching your video it sounds as good as it looks. Your ridiculously smooth playing helps but man, huge congrats on that. It’s something you’re going to enjoy and admire forever!

• Love
Reactions: Tag

kbee

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations on a beautiful Gibson. I love them too.

Synchronistically speaking, I was just
drooling over your Citation during breaks while watching The Last Waltz. I look up and The Band is performing Evangeline with Emmylou Harris. She is playing a cool old Martin. Guess what guitar Robbie is playing?

DiAmoroso

Gold Supporting Member

Great guitar, and I apologize to all that I have misjudged the TGP crowd! I unfortunately am surprised by the amount of positive reactions to this guitar.

Also, great playing. I like that a little of the blues/rock I’ve seen in some of your previous videos comes out in your jazz playing as well, just enough that it’s still very much jazz.

dbeeman

looking forward to some more clips. Really nice looking guitar. Enjoy it Tag.

Last edited:
  • Love

RhytmEarl

It definitely has its Gibson flaws. Some sloppy binding work here and there but it's a1997 so it could be slight checking here and there doing that.
Ahh, the date explains the big volute. I was going to ask about that.

Great looking guitar. Love the fleur-de-lis on the tuner buttons. Nice touch.

EDIT: Looks like all Citations and the Kalamazoo Award share the volute head design. TBH I never minded the volute at all on the early 70s Les Paul Deluxes I owned back then.

Last edited:
  • Love

FlyingVBlues

Great playing Tag. I enjoyed this much more than your Cobra and Quinn clips. It’s pretty clear where your musical heart really is. I’m looking forward to hearing you do some more clips with this great sounding guitar.

spacevato

Beautiful guitar, and happy NGD indeed, but I've got to say, for that kind of money the binding work on the headstock would bug me to no end.

• Haha

Tag

Ahh, the date explains the big volute. I was going to ask about that.

Great looking guitar. Love the fleur-de-lis on the tuner buttons. Nice touch.

EDIT: Looks like all Citations and the Kalamazoo Award share the volute head design. TBH I never minded the volute at all on the early 70s Les Paul Deluxes I owned back then.

I love it! It looks monstrous and does not get in the way at all!
:)

Tag

Well, this one doesn't: https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_citation_hb.htm

Just curious, since it's not a vintage guitar, would it lose much value (price), you think, if you had that fixed?

Look at that one up close. Lower grade wood. They ALL have it here and there. And look at the sloppy "The Gibson" on the headstock. And the way the 5 piece woods in the neck are not sanded down perfectly even. I have had Gibson archtops from the late 50s through brand new. They all have their flaws. Accept them or buy a different brand.

benagain

And you guys think I don't like Gibsons.
:)

This thing is off the hook, and sounds better than it looks!! Awesome super thin carved top that's so responsive! All solid, hand carved, tap tuned woods! Top tuned to C, back to D I believe. In any case, working 12 hours a day for the better part of the last 5 years I could finally grab one! Now other things have to go, but this is where my heart is. Time to really hit the jazz transcriptions again, and I will!

GIBSON CITATION.
:thud:thud:thud

View attachment 484202 View attachment 484203 View attachment 484204 View attachment 484205 View attachment 484206 View attachment 484207 View attachment 484208 View attachment 484209 View attachment 484210 View attachment 484211

Beautiful guitar. Never heard of but looked it up and wow.. They wait for the precise right / perfect wood till they build these. . Amazing. Those tuning keys are freakin monsters. Gotta ask, Is there some funky monkey stuff going on the bottom binding of the back of the headstock? Underneath the bottom left key? Maybe its the pics. Either way.. congrats!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom