NGD: Laguna LE50

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bgmacaw, Jan 22, 2015.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I saw this guitar come up on eBay and made the mistake of placing a lowball bid on it and ended up being the only bidder. It arrived today.

[​IMG]

It's a short scale guitar (23.75") with 2 ceramic humbuckers, a narrow neck with 24 jumbo frets and a string thru body bridge. They say the color is black satin but it's more like a matte black.

As the auction noted, there were a few issues with the electronics, mainly the input jack cut in and out and the tone knob was loose. Both were easy fixes.

The fret work was pretty decent for the price range, no rough edges or the like. The hardware is also good for the price range. The nut seems a bit cheap but isn't terrible.

The big problem so far has been intonation. It was way off. I spent about an hour tinkering with it so far and the G still won't cooperate. I'll have to work with it some more.

The tone is on the harsh, brittle, side like I'd expect from lower end ceramic HB's. Eventually I might swap them out for something a little less harsh.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

An update...

The nut turned out to be the big problem with this guitar. I'd guess at the factory they just slapped a pre-cut one on the guitar and shipped it. While it seemed OK at first, no binding or misalignment, the slots were all too shallow. This caused intonation problems on the first 5 frets, especially with the G. After a little work with the file it's much better now.

The next thing to do with it is to find a way to handle the brittle sound of the pickups. While I like short scale guitars, this is my 5th one, I'm not sure if I want to put more money and time into this one.

3. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Is that a string through body bridge (sorry - old eyes I guess)?

Anyway, good luck with it.