NGD: Les Paul Classic...finish damaged?

stratplayer23

Got a great deal on a new in box 2015 Les Paul Classic a few days ago(Sam Ash limited run--plain top ice tea burst, 57 classics, standard nut/fretboard width, Grover tuners i.e. none of the 2015 nonsense fortunately!)...however, I got it home and noticed a small finish issue near the neck joint/heel that I want to make sure isn't actually a structural issue/anything to worry about...what do you think?

New guitar:
One angle of the finish damage:
Second angle of the finish damage:
There doesn't appear to be a dent, just a crack in the finish (and I hope nothing more)

Thanks!

T Dizz

It's a tough call, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would just enjoy that ,otherwise beautiful, guitar. I've owned more expensive guitars than that with flaws.

I'm sure others will be like: :mob

HTSMetal

If I had that kind of money to spend on a guitar, there's no way in HELL I'd be keeping one with a flaw like that. It may just be finish, but it may be indicative of a hard jolt in shipping or handling that could lead to needing a repair down the line.

We're talking what, $1500 - $2000 bucks? If it were me, that thing would already be on it's way back to whence it came.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
You didnt buy a new guitar, you bought a damaged guitar.

Send it back. No reason to keep a "new" guitar with that kind of neck issue. Besides the finish issue that neck joint does not look right. Sweetwater has a generous return policy. Use it.

Sean French

I highly doubt it would ever become a structural issue. It's seems to be just a finish crack at the seam where two different pieces of wood meet.
If you really dig the guitar and wish to keep it, I would call and let them know of the issue.
I'd want a 10% or better discount to feel better price wise.
If they don't want to make it right, send it back.

BTW, I've owned a couple of LPs that had similar finish cracks.

Last edited:

bob-i

It appears to me that the neck joint wasn't filled correctly before the finish was applied. Notice how closer to the fretboard there's filler in the joint but not where you see the gap. The good news is structurally the joint looks sound and it's not a defect in your sight line.

Personally I think it's fine, but it's your nickel, if you don't like it take it back.

Vibroluxman

Can you slide a piece of paper in the gap? If you're worried have a tech look at it. You might take a hit in resale because of people being worried about a joint problem.

jlb32

If it bugs you, send it back for a replacement. Obviously it seems to be a worry to you and will continue to be so. Just send it back and be happy. No sense in buying a new guitar you may not be happy with.

I personally doubt it's a big deal or will effect anything but it's your money and you should be completely happy with the guitar.

Northernbreed

Return it. Keeping it just reinforces both Gibson and the dealer - it tells them they can slack on basic build quality. That's crap.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
If you click on the pics and click on them again you get pretty good image. I can see there is no gap at all. Its harder to tell what exactly the flaw looks like though. Bob

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
You didnt buy a new guitar, you bought a damaged guitar.

Send it back. No reason to keep a "new" guitar with that kind of neck issue. Besides the finish issue that neck joint does not look right. Sweetwater has a generous return policy. Use it.
Sweetwater has a generous return policy, but they're going to be like "WTF?!" when he tries to return a guitar he bought at Sam Ash to them.

Trending Topics