NGD: Les Paul Peace 2014 - Blue Burst

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cj_wattage, Mar 20, 2015.

1. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Just got this baby yesterday. Couldn't resist the Sweetwater 36-month 0% deal. :D

I was dead set on getting the Harmonium Sunrise finish, but I realized it would sort of look like my R8 (same color pallet anyway), and since I already have two super-classy vintage-style Les Pauls, why not branch out and get funky? :hiP

So I went with Tranquility Blue Burst. I picked the top that had the least amount of obvious regular flame, opting instead for some neat north/south pin-striping (not sure what the proper term for this type of wood grain figuring is). Overall, the look sort of reminds me of that old comfy pair of blue jeans you've had for years and they fit and feel just right. :)

I went over the whole guitar with a very picky eye (we're dealing with Gibson QC here, after all), and I'm pleased to report that overall fit and finish is exceptional. Some of you here would no doubt find some things, but my "picky" mode is probably pretty easy going. Binding is nice, headstock inlay is very neat, etc. My only gripe is that the toggle switch cap was slightly roughed up on the top. And it's the vintage amber color, while the rest of the plastics are cream (but that's how it's supposed to be, according to Gibson).

The Min eTune works as advertised for me. Pretty cool. However, I'm not crazy about having to charge my guitar, so I'll be replacing the system with a set of Grover lockers. 30:1 is neat, but it takes a lot longer to tune manually. But the system does work quite well, and if I gigged a lot of songs that required constant tuning changes, I'd keep it on there. It's worth checking out before dismissing.

Pickups are quite nice, although I've not really had a lot of time to asses them fully. I see no reason in the short term to change them. They are maybe a little brighter than my other humbuckers, but not so much as to verge away from a classic bucker sound. The neck pickup is really nice, as it's very clear.

The neck is on the thin side, but still feels like a Les Paul. No nibs. I don't care a whole lot either way, just noting it.

I'll be replacing the knobs and the truss rod cover. The TRC is atrocious, and I have no idea what Gibson was thinking there. Just dumb. I'm leaving the stop bar as is (for now) since you can barely see the "Peace" letters. The peace sign studs I rather like, so those stay.

I may take off the pick guard. Like many of you, I'm 50/50 on it for many guitars.

Interestingly, the back is finished in very dark trans blue. It looks almost black until you get it in the right light. I directly flashed it to show the color and grain in the one back pick below.

The case is weird. I like the color and feel on the outside, and the inside tie-dye design is unique and interesting. But the fasteners are just odd. They don't feel like they lock into place, even though they are actually quite secure. It's probably just a "feel" thing, but I don't care for it. Not enough to ditch it and get another, but it's something to bitch about (this being the internet). The sort of hand-drawn peace sign they put on the case is dumb looking. I would have liked it had then done something more intentionally looking. Bummer. Oh well.

Overall, I dig this guitar quite a bit. Buying online is always a lottery, and I feel like I got very lucky here. It's very easy playing and just feels nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John550

John550 Member

Real Nice , enjoy !
    Great to buy from Sweetwater as they give it a good once over .

3. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

^^ Yes! The setup is dead-on out of the box, and it was even perfectly in tune despite the fluctuations in temperature during shipping.

Sweetwater is excellent on instrument setup.

4. Dale

Dale Member

5. ixnay

ixnay Member

Are those on sale now too? I know they've got the '14 Vs and Explorers marked around 30% off (more for the demo models).

I think some people give Sweetwater a little too much credit for their 55 point evaluation (which is not a setup). I've never had any guitar arrive from Sweetwater set up any better than guitars I've received from places like MF that don't even open the box before shipping.

6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

They are a couple hundreds bucks cheaper than originally. Nothing like 30%, but still somewhat discounted.

Regarding Sweetwater, the three guitars I've bought from them all came setup better than I expected. I'm not expert globe-trotting guitar buyer, but the guitars I got from them (2 electrics and one acoustic) required no work out of the box. Can't say the same for other guitars I've bought online (or even at retail).

7. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Cool blue, very nice. Congrats!

8. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

Dude, I am like totally mellowed out just soaking in the tranquility coming off that thing ... :)

Seriously, I generally am put off by blue Les Pauls but this one is quite beautiful. The burst is really nice. Congrats.

9. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Nifty. The world can use more blue guitars. I would be forced to change that switch tip though.

10. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

^This. I've received guitars from Sweetwater that should have never left the factory, let alone been sold to a paying customer.

All that aside, that's a beautiful burst finish. I think I'd lose the pickguard, but that's just me.