NGD: Les Paul Standard Faded

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hyde, Apr 25, 2008.

1. hyde

hyde Member

After playing strats for the past twenty years I decided it was time for a change. I was thinking about different LP/SG models when a friend of mine let me in on the secret of the LP Faded. This beauty arrived at my local shop just in time for my birthday.

Unbelievable tone and it plays like a dream.

[​IMG]

I can tweak a Strat blindfolded but since this is my first LP I'm in uncharted territory. I'm going to throw on some pup covers and I've heard great things about RS kits. Anything else I should do to get the most out of a sweet LP?

Cheers,
    Hyde

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Happy Birthday!! :BEER

You picked one nice gift for yourself this year.

I do have one LP but I'm more of a Tele guy, so I can't really offer any advice, other than play the heck out of it and enjoy!

EDIT: Welcome to TGP too!

3. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

Really nice LP, congrats. I got myself a Std. Faded recently, it's an '05.

[​IMG]

4. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

I like the flametops on the Faded series far better than the ones on most USA standards. Weird?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if by "throw on" you mean "carefully solder genuine gibson covers tightly in place with no gap between the cover and the top of the pickup, then wax dip to keep them from squealing like stuck pigs", then hell yeah.

+1 to 500k audio taper pots (like the rs kit) as well.

6. hyde

hyde Member

Thanks gkoelling :BEER

That's a nice lookin' burst Blues! I bet it sounds wicked through the DRRI. I'm running through a BF Bassman and it has never sounded better.

I'm now biased but I have to agree. I usually prefer plain tops but there is a lot of character here.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Hyde

7. hyde

hyde Member

LOL, didn't mean to scare you walter! In my world 'throw on' translates to 'research for months, agonize over process, get the right tools and proceed with caution'. I'm still in the research phase but I have read that the BBpros are already potted, should I still be dipping them in wax after the covers are installed?

Cheers,
    Hyde

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Congrats on the new Les Paul! I just recently went from strats to Les Pauls as well.

9. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Here are a couple of licks that I like and have been getting into since I bought a Lester. Just want to share because I have spent so much time trying to play hendrix, trower, etc. that I ignored alot of JP's stuff.

Found these on Youtube and they are great lessons

Since I have been loving you

Solo

whole lotta love solo

10. explorer83

explorer83 Member

Fine tune tailpiece is one thing I'd never do without on a gibby, I have several and that is the cat's meow. makes tuning a breeze.