• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD: Les Paul Studio T

Digitalman

My very first LP, and in Inverness Green no less. I've been 'off' of Gibsons and humbuckers for about 8 years now. I've had many over the years, 335s, Howard Roberts, SGs, but never wanted an LP really. Mainly due to them being SO popular. I had like 4 SGs and couldn't bond with them. The HRF sounded a bit too much like my 72 335, which is the one I've held onto all these years. A Tele and a Jag have been my main guitars for a long time now. I eventually found myself missing the HB girth.

I'm incorporating more electronic things into the music I'm doing now and recently bought an Ableton Push, to further that effort along. The problem was that when you strap on a 335 and lean over a keyboard, it falls away from you and into the keyboard, because of the strap button being on the heel. I needed a moderately priced, bare bones, solid body HB guitar that I wouldn't worry about dinging up a bit. All signs pointed to the Studio T 2016, being as they removed all the stupid gimmicky crap that has led me away from Gibson over the years.

No complaints with this one. It sounds and plays exactly as I expected. It's incredible. I undressed it a bit and removed the pick guard and pup covers. And the Inverness Green really drew me in, as it's kind of an anti LP color I think. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I'm right there with you - I got a Faded Cherry Studio T this year too - the Burstbucker Pro's are the first Gibson factory pickups that I really like, they have it all: chimey top end, appropriate stout lows as expected and very percussive mids. A well put together LP workhorse

Digitalman

Thanks guys. This is like the more stable SG I always wanted, lol. With a more manageable sized body than the 335. Y'all LP lovers are on to something. I also dig the fact that I can coil tap both pickups too, lots of tonal coverage. But after playing single coils exclusively for so long, I feel like I'm running thru dirt when I'm just on the bridge pickup. It takes some getting used to.

hitchcockblonde

Gold Supporting Member
I got the Faded T a couple months ago. Weird opportunity: it was in a Guitar Center in "Scratch 'n' Dent" because someone had knocked it over and snapped the headstock. Clean break, clean repair despite the color not being matched at the break. Anyway, I haggled and got it out the door with tax for $450 even.

They're doing something right with their manufacturing processes. The neck is flat-out terrific, and the frets are dead level so it just about plays itself. All the machining looks precise, and it was screwed together very well. The BB Pros are interesting. A lot more upper-mid chime and clarity than I'm used to from an LP with humbuckers. Running them a little lower than usual takes some of the percussive edge off. Electronics are quiet, though the interweb commentators say they're usually noisy. Pots are smooth, tuners are fine.

You can tell where cost was cut. Some of the wood selection and the finishing steps, which are mostly cosmetic. The paint is one step above "one pass with a rattle can," the frets are not really polished, and while the ends are not sharp, they're sure not filed to bullet ends. The nut was not filed quite right - tuning issues - and needed a few minutes to widen the G and B, and deepen the G as well. The top is maple, but not selected for looks although it doesn't have knots or flaws. The body is three pieces of wood. Wish the plate for the output jack was metal.

Like I said, the CNC machines, manufacturing process and parts are all fine. Just not much time on details, but I'd rather spend my money on a solidly built, functional guitar than a highly-polished but fundamentally cheaper one. I'm very happy with it, and I've owned some nice instruments, like some US Hamers, couple Guild Bluesbirds, and a MotorAve. Functionally this cheap Les Paul is fully ready to take on the road and sound good doing it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom