1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

NGD - leveling way up (Suhr Pete Thorn Sig)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by djw, Feb 6, 2019.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Pete does way more than shred. He's even said in multiple videos he created one guitar to cover a lot of ground sonically. Not sure why you would think this is only a shredder guitar.

stratman89 and djw like this.
  2. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Slim neck, dinky-sized body, basically. Sorry for asking questions... I didn't think it would be a problem.

They're gorgeous guitars.

djw likes this.
  3. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Who said there was a problem. I questioned your thought process.

djw likes this.
  4. djw

djw Member

Questions are good! Whether they're about the guitar or the rug in the photo. Engagement is why we're here, right? ;)

IMHO, some of what makes a guitar a "shredder" is a particular set of specs, and the rest is perception. A deal-breaker for me in the other thread was that I didn't really dig the "pointy" thing... but that's a totally subjective criteria, so whatever that meant was up to me to decide. Hell, having a guitar that's obviously in a certain financial strata is a new and different perception barrier that I'll have to adjust to for certain gigs if I am going to take it out. Hipsters make things so complicated! But only because I'm an idiot and I let that affect my decisions sometimes. So in some cases it gets down to perceptions about other people's perceptions! Which is nuts, but seems to affect some of us (or maybe just me).

@chrisjw5 you read that other thread, so you saw lots of opinions about what makes a guitar a shredder -- what's your take on it? (EDIT-- I guess you sort of already answered that question, so maybe the question now is, what do you think?)

Bottom line: if all I wanted was a shredder, I could have gotten in for much less and gotten something that was more of a shredder than the PT. Even without a Floyd, the PT can still shred, but it's way more than a shredder.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I am 6'2"and have long fingers. I've owned a CS '51 Nocaster with a huge neck, a CS '58 Les Paul RI (big neck) and find the PT neck to be super comfortable. As @djw posted he gets no hand fatigue..... I'm finding the same.

As far as being a dinky-sized body, I honestly don't notice or feel a difference between my Strat and the Suhr when playing.

From Rocket Music's site:

Even C Slim: This is a very friendly even taper slim C shape. The thickness runs .800" at the first fret to .880" at the 13th fret. It is our most popular shape and John's personal favorite.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    chrisjw5 and djw like this.
  6. djw

djw Member

Interesting, I definitely feel it. But I'm 5' 9", and guitars always feel a bit oversized to me... but that might be because my hero as a kid was Pete Townshend, and I've always felt like a dwarf compared to his lanky outline!

7. chrisjw5

That's kind of funny. My main guitar right now, in my lap as I type, is an '86 Schecter PT. I appear to keep coming back to PT's.

djw likes this.
  8. djw

djw Member

That's awesome!

9. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The specs are almost perfect. The neck is way to skinny for me. Also, the black should have a natural back, not red. They should also offer a Candy Apple Red top with a natural Korina back too. With a soft V neck and zebra humbuckers. But I guess it would be the Killcrop signature.

djw likes this.
  10. djw

djw Member

I'm guessing you're half serious since putting a Korina back on a mahogany body seems like an, er, unusual design idea... However the back is transparent red, in case that matters...

11. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I assumed it had a maple top. If it is all mahogany, then my sig guitar would be Korina body and neck.

djw likes this.
  12. djw

djw Member

It does indeed have a maple top, just mahogany beneath that.

13. fatoni

fatoni Member

I think the most important thing that is often overlooked is the wiring. I don't have the pt but I have a gold top tele with a mahogany body maple top and a fixed bridge and a rosewood board. Very similar and Pete actually gave the previous owner guidance on the build. The switching is really impressive. Enough to change how I will build customs in the future .

djw likes this.
  14. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

Personally, I think very few "shredders" are actually limited to just that style. Even Vai's Jem is a very versatile guitar. I think a shredder is more of a look (flashy) and a flatter fingerboard...

djw likes this.
  15. djw

djw Member

Most definitely. The switching plan is pretty brilliant. I'd have been ever so slightly more comfortable with the full neck humbucker on position 1 (all the way up), but other than that tiny quibble, I really really like the design.

I am still also blown away by how the volume control works. As I said, I don't have experience with a treble bleed, so I can't tell if this is what it is or if it's some other magical combination of caps and resistors and whatnot, but the fullness and clarity all the way up and down the control is perfect. Another thing about it I noticed is that this is the only circuit I've had where there's no jump in low-frequency buzz when I reduce the volume -- this is something that's really noticeable in basically ALL of my other guitars if I have some gain dialed up, and turn the volume down even a little while not touching any strings or metal on the guitar. At first I figured this was my own crappy wiring skills (and maybe it is) but it seems to also manifest on the guitars that I've left completely stock, so in my mind it seems like this is yet another perk. Am I tripping???

16. chrisjw5

Yeah, aside from the looks, it's the flatter fingerboard and slimmer neck. They're both features I don't usually bond with.

17. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

So uh...what do these weigh in at? Anyone? Damon.

djw likes this.
  18. djw

djw Member

Mine comes in at 7.7 lbs.
    EDIT: @plan-x the above figure includes a thin suede strap that I was too lazy to take off, so maybe it's more like 7.6.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  19. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Mine weighs 7.56 lbs.

djw likes this.
  20. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

And there we have it, expensive instruments are better than adequate ones.
    Congrats on making the commitment to that guitar. I recall enabling you quite a bit, and strongly approve the colour choice. I'm cool on gold tops, that aren't P90 LP's, cos they have been done. That black and oxblood combination is so nice.

djw likes this.