NGD - Malmsteen Strat is the Bomb!

DVHStrat

Got me a Malmsteen strat the other day.
I've got to say, where was this guitar my entire life? It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

How the hell do I go back to non-scalloped necks now? The feel is amazing.

Sound wise, it's got its own thing going on which is pretty cool. Awesome guitar all around.

How do you feel about scalloped necks?

Buzzard Luck

Is it an older one with the Dimarzio HS3 or with the newer Seymour Duncan Pickups? Bridge pickup ok?
how's the tuning with the whammy?

Buyers tend to gush and really emote abut how great these guitars are~~. Maybe someday~~

InkStained

Pics are required for this thread.

Congrats. I've been lusting over the newer Malmsteen signature Strats for a while. FMIC makes nothing else like them, for sure.

Expensive and rare, but I bet they're worth every penny.

DVHStrat

I think it's a love or hate kind of thing. Either you hate it at the store, or you absolutely love it and can't go back to regular guitars. I think I may be the latter.

It's the new one with the SD pickups. There's a lot to be said about the sound - it sounds like a strat, but not as beautiful as my CS 1960 relic. You don't get the full strat single coil effect like you would on genuine strat singles. On the other hand, it is dead quiet and certainly "good enough". It also has a little bit of that humbucker "fullness" which makes it feel more "solid" than a regular strat would when overdriven.

Whammy is fine by the way, no issues.

For the record, I'm not a Yngwie fan. I use the guitar for blues and classic rock, with bits of heavy metal. The bends and vibrato with the scalloped neck are unbelievable.

RRfireblade

Nice, congrats. I have a few guitars with scalloped necks and I like them quite a bit. I think people either like them or hate them but make a bigger deal out of them than they really are.

Nice Strat though, enjoy.

BenoA

Congratz! Played one many years ago and the scalloped fretboard felt weird under my hand. Will have to try one again. Enjoy NGD

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I have 1988 YJM, insanely good guitar. I've played scalloped fretboards since the 80's so I'm good, love it.
We need pictures! :)

FFOGG

Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut
Got me a Malmsteen strat the other day.
I've got to say, where was this guitar my entire life? It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

How the hell do I go back to non-scalloped necks now? The feel is amazing.

Sound wise, it's got its own thing going on which is pretty cool. Awesome guitar all around.

How do you feel about scalloped necks?
Congrats !!!

HayekFan

I've never played on a scalloped fretboard but I like big frets -- I cannot lie -- so I could see myself liking it. My only concern would be pressing chords out of tune.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Big frets are good, scalloping is more and better.
Those that prefer low frets will never understand because their finger are made of different stuff in a different shape.

I dig scalloped necks. You can do some crazy stuff with them that isn't possible on standard boards. Can't stand Malmsteen, though I'd still buy one of his strats if I could find one local for a good price.
They look great and the neck is awesome.
Pics please!

Doom Man

Pics!!!

I have a Japanese YJM and it's a cool guitar, although I've come to realize I vastly prefer at least 22 frets.
The Dunlop 6000 frets and scalloping make this guitar by FAR the easiest to play Strat, or indeed any Fender guitar I've ever played. The scalloping on the MIJ model is quite a bit shallower than MIA models and done in a manner that would facilitate easier refretting but that said I can't even see why you'd need a deep scallop, you already have more grip on the strings than you'd ever need with this guitar.
I can easily transition to my other guitars, but every other guitar I own has jumbo frets.
Going to vintage frets, probably not so easy :D

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 2007 model with the Dimarzio pickups on it and wicked deep scalloping. I love it. I did get a Callaham narrow-spaced bridge for it and then I really loved it. Playing it really makes me improve my fretting touch and technique.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom