NGD- Martin 00-15M - Mahogany Hog!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by fenderjapan, May 21, 2020.

1. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

This is a special NGD for me because its my first really nice acoustic guitar.
    I have a Taylor GS Mini-E which is a decent guitar for gigging with, the same could be said for the Ovation Elite that I used to have, but I've never owned a nice acoustic guitar made to be enjoyed primarily for the way it plays and sounds, rather than it's portability, electronics, or weather resistance.

[​IMG]

I had always heard that Martins would fight you, and that they were hard to play. This couldn't be further from the truth, at least not on the 00-15M. It plays like a dream, nice low action with no buzzing. Perfectly balanced warm tone.

paulg, BigAl, monty and 6 others like this.
  2. Route67

Route67 Member

Beautiful guitar with the benefit of solid/ paddle headstock and modern neck, no pickguard is bonus. I’ve read the good ones are a lifetime instrument benefiting from hundreds of hours of playing in. Congrats & Welcome to the Martin mahogany club :)

themannamedbones and fenderjapan like this.
  3. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Supporting Member

I think the Martin 15 series has gotta be the best value out there in high quality acoustics. I've had an 000-15M and 000-15SM and both of them were incredibly nice and each less than $1300...

Congrats! Enjoy....

-Ray

fenderjapan and mulekicker like this.
  4. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

Nice! I was in a similar situation. I've had plenty of great electrics but always relied on beater acoustics that never stuck around. Bought a D-15m last week and couldn't be happier. I'm in love with it.

fenderjapan and Route67 like this.
  5. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

6. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

I bought my 000-15SM a little over a year ago, and it keeps getting better and better. You're in for a treat as your guitar opens up and blooms.

7. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Congrats. Should be an excellent guitar to record with, as well.

Route67 likes this.
  8. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Also...an excellent guitar to gig with.

One of the nicest sounding acoustics I have heard was a guy playing a Martin DRS1....1st gen Martin MIM.....all 'hog. Sounded amazing....though...have to add...he had A LOT of gear and his own sound system...so....could be that he was playing through something like a Fishman Aura, or similar modeler. The point is....that guitar should give you all you need...and if you need more...a modeler or some similar EQ pedal, might be in order.

And....I have a Martin DRS2 dread. Always loved the tone, but, it took me some time to get used to playing it ...since I used to play a lot of electrics (1.69" nut vs, 1.75 on the martin...as you probably know). At any rate, since I have been recording more (being shut in)….I have used it almost exclusively...and now.....playing it is second nature.

So....best of luck....and enjoy!

Route67 likes this.
  9. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

I’ve got the 12 fret 000 all hog, about a year old, sounds amazing!!! Enjoy.

Route67 likes this.
  10. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've had a 000-15M for the past few years and love it! I say this every chance I get- you don't hear strings on this guitar, just wood.

fenderjapan and Route67 like this.
  11. stephenT

stephenT Member

Congrats! I’ve owned a custom 00-15m for eight years. It’s a fantastic guitar. Well broken in, plays great, perfect size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Route67 likes this.
  12. BigAl

BigAl Member

Sweet new Martin and enjoy it!

Did your guitar come with the pickguard off or did you remove it? Looking online the 00-15M seems to come with a pickguard so just curious.