NGD - Martin GPCPA4SIR

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Gearaddict, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

I just took home a new Martin Grand Performance yesterday. I really like the Siris back and sides and tonally it sounds like an in-between Rosewood and Mahogany. I originally bought a dreadnaught version but couldn't live with the one beaclaw slash which exteded half way across the top. I don't know how the guitar passed Martin's fussy QC. The Grand Performance body style is a lot sexier and easier to hold on the lap. To me it sounds similar to a dreadnaught AND a 000, giving you the best of both worlds. I also like the more contemporary pickguard, similar to a Taylor (a huge giant step for classic Martin styling). Also like the creme colored binding front and back which really classes it up.:drool

In my search for this acoustic and demoing multiple guitars, I've noticed something lately about Elixir coated type strings however. On the guitars that had em in the showroom, the ones with the coated strings really dulled and crapped up ebony and Micarta fretboards. I believe this is caused by the fingers rubbing the coating off on the fretboard. Anyone else run into this? I don't like them anyway, so I'll be using the SP's on this Martin.

2. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

:worthless

Seriously.....congrats, that's a nice score. I just don't like the look or comfort feel of dreadnaughts any more, give me a curvacious, sexy 000 any day:)

3. AcousticDude

AcousticDude Member

Regarding the Elixirs. My Taylor came with them and I have to admit that a fresh set of nanowebs sounds great. But once I tried the d'Addario EXP 16 coated strings, I was hooked. No shedding of the coating that the Elixirs tend to do. Plus, I was having string breakage issues with the Elixers. Usually the B or G.

Recently I got a few sets of the Martin coated Lifespan SPs (80/20 bronze lights) and think they are a pretty close match to the EXP 16s. I think I like the EXP 16s a little bit more, but it is really hard to tell the difference. And I get a lot more life out of them than the regular 16s and SPs. (2 or 3 months vs 3 or 4 weeks - it all depends on how much you play them too).

4. Curt

Curt Member

I own a GPCPA.
    You made a good choice. They're wonderful guitars.

5. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

I took the guitar back last Saturday for a neck tweak and while I was waiting, made the mistake of going upstairs to noodle on some more of the Martins. I noticed a rack of them next to a Fishman Amp and they had a deal going if you bought one of the guitars they would take $300 off the guitar and amp combo. I didn't need an amp as I have a Shen Pro I love, but I picked up one of the guitars to noodle on while I waited for my guitar in the shop. OM!@#$$%%*&()%% !!!!!! What was this beast?? Well, it was over a grand more than my Siriis Martin but it was still in the same GP family. Long story short, I traded the Siris for a new GPCPAMahogany with the Fishman aura built in system and some cash. They gave me a GREAT price as the guitar was on the floor a while. Hopefully I can get some pics. It is a gorgeous sounding and playing guitar. They stained the Mahogany deep wine red and with the gold tuners and Martin logo on the headstock it is breathtaking. Also has a bound neck which to me plays a little faster than the unbound one. I really liked the Siris, even over the Rosewood, but Mahogany guitars ALWAYS suck me in. I had a 000-Custom Mahog with Adi spruce built for me a couple years ago. This GP will be it's big brother. I LOVE MARTINS!!!! My middle name is actually Martin.
    JMG