• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD - Martin LX1

redeyedjim

Well, it's new to me. And to be honest, I picked it up last Wednesday, not today. But man, what a sweet little guitar!

We're going camping in a few weeks and I decided that was a good excuse to pick up a travel-friendly acoustic to bring along. Surprisingly, my wife agreed, or at least didn't object too much. I found a used Martin LX1 on CL for $175 w/the gigbag, which fits my requirements to a T - woot!

That was last Wednesday, and it's been a busy week since then as I want to get this guitar dialed in before we go away. Having now spent some time with it, I find that I'm falling for it pretty hard, lol. No one will mistake it for a full size guitar, but considering it's mostly HPL with a laminate neck, it's a very enjoyable little instrument that's capable of producing some surprisingly good tones. Because I can never leave well enough alone, I replaced the stock tusq saddle and plastic pins with a bone saddle and bone pins (thanks, Bob C.!), and picked up a hard case for it. I also added the pick guard because I like the way it looks, although the top was a bit chewed up so I guess it's there for practical reasons, too. Lastly, I ditched the stock medium strings for a set of Martin's MSP4050 "custom light" PB strings, .011" to .052", and man, this thing sounds and plays great! Chords jangle very appropriately, while individual notes ring clear; it's just a fun guitar to play, with a much better voice than a guitar made from laminated wood and plastic should have.

These are killer little guitars, and to borrow a metaphor they punch well above their weight class. I know there are several other guitars in this same 3/4 size, and some nice guitars like the Taylor GS Mini just a price point or two above this one. That said, I have no regrets about going with the Little Martin - the HPL and relatively cheap cost mean I should be able to enjoy playing this around a campfire or whatnot without stressing about it too much. Pretty hard to beat for the cost, and the truly small size means it should be easy to travel with in the future.

EricPeterson

Nice, a good travel guitar is nice to have. Ed Sheeran has made millions of dollars and impressed crowds world wide playing a Lx1 live, pretty much exclusively (until he got a custom shop martin parlor).

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
Nice, a good travel guitar is nice to have. Ed Sheeran has made millions of dollars and impressed crowds world wide playing a Lx1 live, pretty much exclusively (until he got a custom shop martin parlor).
Yeah, I'm really digging the idea of getting a travel guitar. In fact, I've been toying with the idea of getting a Taylor Mini, so much so that if I can break free later today I might buy one. I like the smallish guitar and scale, but the sounds are surprisingly big. Stay tuned. :)

Peace,

Trending Topics