NGD: Matsumoku-made Cortez LP

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
image.jpg

image.jpg
index.php

New (to me) guitar day. I just received (via ups) a 1970s Cortez LP copy. Made in the Japanese Matsumoku factory. It’s a nice addition to the stable, and I’m happy to have it.

This guitar is for gigging purposes, so I can have a LP in places I feel less comfortable in. I have a high end LP, but some settings are not safe for that guitar.

I will replace the tuning pegs, and likely the bridge p/u (for coil split) and perhaps the pots, depending on the taper.
Also, the neck is chipped and has a few small dings & scratches. I will be sanding off the finish, steaming out the dings, then sanding the neck to remove about .020”.
Currently the neck measures:

Nut: .914 —- 1.688
7th: .929 —- 1.927
10th: .946 — 2.000
12th: .954 — 2. 044

It’s nut a baseball bat, but it’s not a slim taper either. I have already checked the truss rod, and there’s plenty of room to shave a little off the neck.

And I always wanted a black guitar!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
View attachment 647171
View attachment 647168
index.php

New (to me) guitar day. I just received (via ups) a 1970s Cortez LP copy. Made in the Japanese Matsumoto factory. It’s a nice addition to the stable, and I’m happy to have it.

This guitar is for gigging purposes, so I can have a LP in places I feel less comfortable in. I have a high end LP, but some settings are not safe for that guitar.

I will replace the tuning pegs, and likely the bridge p/u (for coil split) and perhaps the pots, depending on the taper.
Also, the neck is chipped and has a few small dings & scratches. I will be sanding off the finish, steaming out the dings, then sanding the neck to remove about .020”.
Currently the neck measures:

Nut: .914 —- 1.688
7th: .929 —- 1.927
10th: .946 — 2.000
12th: .954 — 2. 044

It’s nut a baseball bat, but it’s not a slim taper either. I have already checked the truss rod, and there’s plenty of room to shave a little off the neck.

And I always wanted a black guitar!

Sweet! Think that's one of the bolt neck versions if I'm not mistaken. Also, it's not Matsumoto - it's Matsumoku :).

I have a set neck 1980 Cortez LP Custom and it is my favorite LP of all the ones I've had over 20+ years. Heavy as hell and with tone to match!

IMG_7076.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Looks great, congratulations & enjoy

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
Sweet! Think that's one of the bolt neck versions if I'm not mistaken. Also, it's not Matsumoto - it's Matsumoku :).

I have a set neck 1980 Cortez LP Custom and it is my favorite LP of all the ones I've had over 20+ years. Heavy as hell and with tone to match!

View attachment 647352

View attachment 647353
Thank you! Yes Matsumoku, my phone keeps changing it. Yours looks in better shape, nice guitar! Mines a little under 9 pounds.

Thank you! Yes Matsumoku, my phone keeps changing it. Yours looks in better shape, nice guitar! Mines a little under 9 pounds.

Mine is just a hair under 10, but worth the shoulder pain :). This was another lucky grab from good ole GC Used, think it cost me a whole $299.

Nice! My first guitar was a Cortez Ferarri, that my uncle found in a warehouse he used to work in. It was this 80s shredder strat thing with Invader humbuckers, all blacked out. It was a great first guitar, and I wish I still had it, but it was unfortunately stolen. Never seen another like it. Every other Cortez I’ve seen has been a LP clone like OPs.

If it’s anything like my old guitar, I’m sure it’s great! Enojy it!

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
Mine is just a hair under 10, but worth the shoulder pain :). This was another lucky grab from good ole GC Used, think it cost me a whole $299.
Yep. This one was $299 also, (+$40 for shipping) from Evolution music in Chicago. The neck is chipped & scratched, which kept the price low.

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
Nice! My first guitar was a Cortez Ferarri, that my uncle found in a warehouse he used to work in. It was this 80s shredder strat thing with Invader humbuckers, all blacked out. It was a great first guitar, and I wish I still had it, but it was unfortunately stolen. Never seen another like it. Every other Cortez I’ve seen has been a LP clone like OPs.

If it’s anything like my old guitar, I’m sure it’s great! Enojy it!
Thank you!
I’ve been playing it all weekend. It has heavier strings than I’m used to, so my hand is a bit tired today. But I’ll have a break today, because I have to head to work now. Cheers!

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
And so it progresses: the neck profile is shaved down, grain raised and wet-sanded.
Next: 600 grit wet-sand, then pore-filling.

Attachments

• F62BADC9-6DF3-4946-8121-EC480821E424.jpeg
    F62BADC9-6DF3-4946-8121-EC480821E424.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 9

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, they're allowed. The ones we can't really discuss are the ones that aren't made by a particular company but have that company's name on the headstock and are essentially counterfeit guitars. So called "lawsuit era" guitars - copies of US guitars by Asian companies years ago - but that had that Asian company's name on the headstock - are ok to discuss. Copies like "Chibsons" (Chinese made guitars that say "Gibson" on the headstock) or replicas made by small builders that have Gibson, Fender, whatever on the headstock are not allowed for discussion. At least that's my understanding of the rules.

Memoryhead

Yes, they're allowed. The ones we can't really discuss are the ones that aren't made by a particular company but have that company's name on the headstock and are essentially counterfeit guitars. So called "lawsuit era" guitars - copies of US guitars by Asian companies years ago - but that had that Asian company's name on the headstock - are ok to discuss. Copies like "Chibsons" (Chinese made guitars that say "Gibson" on the headstock) or replicas made by small builders that have Gibson, Fender, whatever on the headstock are not allowed for discussion. At least that's my understanding of the rules.

ohhhh ****

because I have 3 MIJ les pauls that i love to death but have been holding my tongue about them lol

ErichA

Gold Supporting Member
Update:
I’m moving along with the neck. (It’s a bolt-on)
It’s shaved down fairly close to Gibson’s slim-taper, then I pore-filled with a UV activated pore sealer (4 times of seal/sand. All in one day)
Then I moved to rubbing shellac on. I have 15 coats on, with two sandings at 600 grit. It’s getting there. It turns out it’s a nice piece of African mahogany. It’s looking beautiful (I’m not painting it black again where I shaved it. I stained the grain a bit with coffee, and I’ll post a pic when I have good light.)

Also: I pulled the pickups... and they’re dummies! They aren’t humbuckers at all. They are single coils in ‘bucker sized covers. I have read this sometimes happened with older Japanese guitars, so it’s not a surprise. (I was going to replace ‘em anyway)

And there’s the body...
It’s a plywood pancake. Again, no surprise. I thought it might be.

This guitar is an inexpensive alternative to bringing my nice (real) LP to shady joints.

Top Bottom