NGD: Mayer Signature Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tweedster, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tweedster

tweedster Supporting Member

I purchased a Mayer sig strat in Oly white. Used to have a custom shop strat '62 with a 7.5" radius and vintage frets. Not my cup of tea, and the guitar was was shrill and unpleasantly bright (I'm pretty much a humbucker kind of guy). I even swapped out the pickups for Fralin Hot Blues, but that didn't do it for me either, as the guitar was still shrill, and the guitar was unplayed for the 7 years I've had it. I wanted to try out the Mayer, because of the fat frets (6105's) and 9.5" radius, and to to hear the big dipper pickups. Sam Ash wanted a $400 deposit (refundable) before they would get the strat for me to try! I looked high and low and couldn't find a Mayer sig to try(in Edison, NJ or within a 20 mile radius). NY is always a possibility, but the stores there don't let you really try out guitar in a quiet environment.

Ponied up the $ for the deposit, and 6 weeks later it came in and I tried it out. The guitar is all that (for me). Neck radius and frets are in my comfort zone. Pickups sounded great, and the tone controls really work well, without adding any woof - even with the bridge pickup. I did not find the pickups to have a mid dip so much as just having a mellow voice. I found that it sounds best when played clean ( I found most strats to sound best without being gained up - for me) . Sounds better through tweed amps vs. blackfaces, but it is a glorious sound. I sold the custom shop strat. I'm very satisfied with the JM strat and it is the 1st strat I bonded with, and I've played a lot of them; Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, Clapton, vintage reissue, American Standards, custom shop, player's strat, Bonnie Raitt strat,vintage vibe Squier's, Mexican strats, etc. Even some vintage pieces (out of my price range), where it was always hit or miss (mostly misses). SO a big +1 on the JM strat.

My main axe is a '96 PRS McCarty. Now if only I could find a DGT to try out, so I can find out whether the narrower neck relative to the McCarty (and 6100 frets) make a big enough difference to pop for the guitar.

2. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Congrats, nice specs for sure on the Mayer Strat. It has a 0.22uF cap which makes the tone knob more useable than the vintage style values.

3. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

Congrats! I've wanted to get my hands on a Mayer strat since they were first introduced. Would love to see pics of yours. Play it in good health!

4. Nada

Nada Member

congratulations!

5. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Don't leave us hanging without pics. I love oly white.