1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

NGD MC5 Content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mototpsychel, May 16, 2011.

1. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Stopped by the local Guitar shop this weekend and saw the Wayne Kramer Strat and of course I had to try it out. I didn't think I'd like the Humbucker in the middle, but when I played it, it worked for me. I might want something a little hotter down the line but for now it's fine.

The neck, while not fat, isn't what I'd call thin either - it had enough heft to keep me happy. I 'd call it slightly larger than medium. It feels light, but I don't have a weight yet. It played well, no sharp frets, but it's spring so we'll see what happens when the heaters come on this winter.

The relicing was actually the best I've seen on a MIM guitar with some really interesting checking on it. I thought at first (rather stupidly I admit) that maybe it was some sort of veneer, but no, you can feel the checking with your fingers.

The picture is from my cell phone, taken at the store, but I plan on taking some better "at home" shots and maybe I'll be able to get some of the details to show.

Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I was a fan of the band at the time, and the flag on this instrument had a much differant conotation back when it was played than a Tele would today with a similar paint job in a country band.

A little work, a few tweaks, and I should be able to "Kick Out The Jams" with this Futhermucker.

[​IMG]

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I'm a slobbering MC5 fanatic and I love this guitar to the max. I still can't believe that they decided not to make this in the USA, but that aside, absolutely killer!

How does it sound?

Also, curious about the pickguard : is is solid blue plastic with white stars printed on it?

3. mannish

mannish Member

I had the pleasure of hanging out with MC5 related, John Sinclair at Dick Waterman's 'house warmng' party in Oxford many, many years ago. Sinclair was doing the poetry, music thing at the Blue Museum the next day. He was way different but in a cool way, he had one of the most beautiful woman I had ever seen with him, she was South Africa just stunning beautiful. We ate bar be que'd goat. Actually it was a house full of really cool people.

4. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Yeah I would of prefered that it be a USA guitar, but then it would've cost me a lot more.

It sounds great. I'm playing it thru a Two-Rock Custom Reverb Sig V2. The Humbucker blends much better than I expected with the SC's. As you might expect it adds edge to the neck and girth to the bridge.

I havn't looked too closely at the pick-guard, but I will and I'll let you know.

You've probably seen this video before and despite the usual "quality" of these clips, it pretty good approximation of the guitars capabilites.

I had no trouble copping those tones with mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7W2tE36IE0&hd=1

5. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ Awesome!

Re : that Sinclair BBQ story : that is pretty fantastic! I'd love to have met some of those cats.