NGD McCarty 594

vrdl87

24 hours ago I recieved my PRS McCarty 594 Yellow Tiger in the mail. Given the fact that I have a toddler at home, the actual testing had to wait until the evening - and what better way is there to try a new guitar other then bringing it to a 3 hours band practice?

Before I share my thoughts based on the practice session, here is a short recap of my background.

I’ve been playing blues and soul guitar for roughly 25 years (gosh!). For the last 10, I’ve been suffering from severe gear addiction. The bad part about it - it stopped me from playing as much as I should have. The good? I’ve played pretty much what is to play!

When the McCarty first piqued my interest, I wanted to know if it could cover my LP CS R-needs, but also if it was able to do the single coil thing. Potentially this could help me getting closer to my goal of becoming a gear minimalist. After months of research my wife asked me «Do you really want this guitar?». «So bad!» I replied. «Let me buy it to you as a gift.» «Omg. I freaking love you!». Summed up: This is a gift of a lifetime - it’s not going anywhere.

Now, let’s move on to some NGD-thoughts!
  • Let’s start with the looks. Allthough it - to me - looks good in pictures, it looks flat out amazing in person. I’m not religious, but I could not help myself mentioning a couple of religious characters when I opened the case.
  • The craftmansship is great. No flaws at all with either finish or playability. All the LP CS R’s I’ve owned have all played great too, but there have been some under par work regarding binding and bleeding. No such thing on this one.
  • The radius and scale length will take some time getting used to, as it’s different from previous guitars I’ve owned. Feels good, but different.
  • The neck carve is also a thing of it’s own. Not R9. Not R8. Maybe somewhere in between.
  • This guitar just makes the strings ring forever. I’ve never experienced such a thing with other guitars I’ve owned.
  • The pickups sounded great in a band context. I usually played «single coils» on the rhythm stuff, and HB on guitar solos (and when the drummer started hitting harder). It was a pure joy to have two guitars in one - a highlight for me!
  • After the rehearsal I went home thinking «I just played one of the most professional sounding and feeling guitars I’ve ever played. And, hey, I’ll get to play it for the rest of my life too. Boy, am I lucky.»
  • The McCarty is not an R-LP. The R-LP’s have the iconic looks, the awsome and well known necks, the bite and the mojo. The McCarty is a different beast - with it’s great weight, comfortable contours, easy playability, multiple great sounds and outstanding fresh looks. Dig it!
  • https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...at-have-tried-both-r9-or-mccarty-594.2271537/
Over and out!

290AsFY.jpg

YvkA0wx.jpg

F8jU2T6.jpg

oboTLZ6.jpg

1qoxgB9.jpg

somedude

First PRS I got would just sit and ring forever. I’m pretty sure I could put it down, go make a sandwich, eat the sandwich, go back to pick it up and it would still be sustaining.

C-4

Congratulations on such a beautiful guitar! I love that tiger color as well.

I had a PRS single cut 594 and didn't click with it, but it was most definitely not the guitar's fault. I'm just a Gibson guy, plain and simple.

I hope you really get many years of enjoyment from your new PRS. You have one special wife to spring for such an expensive piece for you. Remember her when Christmas gets here. ;)

Alse1829

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats!! 594’s are amazing guitars. I think they get overlooked as only a direct comparison to LPs, but I agree with you that they have something special special going on in their own right!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
What a fantastic looking guitar! Glad it sounds as good as it looks.

They definitely know how to build 'em right.

WorstBandNameEver

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think my 594 is always my favorite guitar, but if I only had to own one guitar it would certainly be the one. I think of it as a jack of all trades for me. Easy to play, good sounding humbuckers, good sounding split sound, really balanced volume when switching pick-ups, the neck feels great, etc. Additionally, double cut, reasonable weight, so on and so forth.

That yellow tiger looks awesome! Reminds me a little of those aged vintage yellw/green les paul bursts!

finnster

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! You should get used to the scale rather quickly….it’s “basically” the same as your Gibson R’s.
Gorgeous PRS

vrdl87

Thank you for all the messages! It’s been a great week, and I’m truly starting to bond with the 594. Here is the guitar in action - it playes so so smooth - I dig it!

Last edited:

Strummerfan

One of the best looking ones I've seen. Enjoy that thing. You obviously chose well, both the guitar, and your wife! Congratulations.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom