NGD! MIJ Tokai ES-120 (335 clone)!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HRydarcik, Jan 27, 2008.

1. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Got this about a week ago....I found it on Ebay while looking for another MIJ Les Paul. The seller was hisashi and the guitar arrived packed extremely well. Now on to the guitar itself...right out of the case all it needed was tuning up and it was ready to go...the setup was perfect, came with 10s and the action and intonation were spot on. The guitar itself is amazing...it's has a nitro finish, long guard, lightweight taipiece. The electronics are fine as are they Tokai MkII pups...they easily compare to the set of Seth Lovers I have in my Edwards Les Paul. The neck is nice and fat, but not too fat, in fact it feels about the exact same as my Edwards...the nut is 1-5/8 wide and I thought that might be a factor but I can play my Edwards for awhile and then switch to the Tokai and the diffence in nut widths (1/16") is so small that you really can't tell it. One thing I do like is the neck angle...I had a lefty 1997 ES335 and the neck was set so that you really had to crank the thumb screews up on the bridge to get the action right, about 3/8 of an inch and the pickups had to be jacked way up out of the pickup rings to get them close to the strings...on this guitar the thumbs screws are only about 1/8 inch off the body and the pickups don't stick up very far above the rings...I think that's a much better look (more like a Les Paul) and it's more comfortable to play...all in all...this guitar equals or beats my Gibson 335 in every aspect....the only change I made was to put a Gibson Historic truss rod cover on it...I can't think of anything else it needs. Here's a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Very nice!

I'll take plain maple over flame/quilt anyday.

Classy guitar.

Congratulations

3. kherman

kherman Member

Congrats!

Sweet looking.

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Mucho Conga Rats!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad to hear the narrow nut doesn't make a difference in playability. That is what has kept me from buying a ES-120 or similar.

5. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Thanks, and I agree...with 335s I much prefer a plaintop, like the originals...I just never thought a flame top looked right on them...now that's a different story as far as Les Pauls go.

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I would send it back, the pickguard is on the wrong side! :)

7. bassman

bassman Member

Nice axe man! I'm a lefty also . How often do these come around and for what kind of dough if you don't mind me askin'. I'm gassing for a 335 style

8. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

I was looking for another lefty MIJ Les Paul on Ebay when I stumbled across it...I check lefty guitars on Ebay almost daily and this was the first one I've seem in a long, long time, you could contact the dealer I got mine from, his ebay name is hisashi and he could probably order one...mine was $1,140 with shipping and hardshell case.