NGD: most significant and meaningful guitar purchase of my life!

GraceToo

I posted a thread here last week looking for people to talk me out of buying a brand new Gibson Explorer. I'd wanted one for over two decades (it was basically the first guitar I wanted when I was a kid), but did not like the thought of spending $2150 CDN + tax when I already had a decent copy Explorer with upgraded pickups that I bought for $400. I hadn't found a used Gibson Explorer locally in a finish I liked any time I actively looked for one, and I'm nervous about buying used guitars online, so I had pretty much given up. The desire to suck it up and drop the $2.15k on a brand new one was overwhelming. I just couldn't justify it in the end, though, so even though just about everyone here was saying to buy one, I decided to put the dream on the backburner again and continue hoping that I'd eventually find a used one in my home province at some point in my lifetime.

Well, as luck would have it, a lightly used Explorer in my preferred finish went up for sale locally for $1350, and this is the really freaky part: it actually went up the DAY I posted that thread!!! I literally had no idea about it until someone here posted a link yesterday. It was (amazingly) still available, so I went up to the store right away to check it out. My hands were shaking so much from excitement I could barely play the damn thing, but I knew right away that it was a keeper. The previous owner had made several upgrades that I personally would have made to the 2018 Explorer (swapped stock tuners out for gold mini Grovers, swapped out the black speed knobs for gold top hat knobs, swapped out the white pickguard for a black three-ply, and it looks like they even swapped out the stock pickups). Only thing left to upgrade is the stock bridge and tailpiece. It was like it was just meant to be.

So thanks, TGP, for being excellent enablers and refusing to talk me out of it, and thanks especially to the person who noticed the ad!

Pictures:

A few minor finish dings, nothing major.

Last edited:

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations!

I think sometimes the guitar gods look down on us and say do you know what, you deserve a break here... I've had some amazing luck with deals falling in my lap at just the right moment over the years.

If I could turn that luck into any other areas of my life I'd be all set...

GraceToo

Looks great, love the natural on that guitar! (prefer a white 'guard, but that's just me).
I used to prefer white pickguards on Explorers too, but when I first saw one with a black 'guard, I just loved the symmetry it had with the headstock. It looks really classy, IMO. And natural mahogany finish is the best! The few used Gibson Explorers I've seen in a reasonable price range over the past two decades were all in ebony and cherry finishes, and I'm just not a fan of that. Mine isn't all one piece, but they did a great job of matching the grain up, and it's got this cool sort of triangular thing going on at the upper edge:

Congratulations!

I think sometimes the guitar gods look down on us and say do you know what, you deserve a break here... I've had some amazing luck with deals falling in my lap at just the right moment over the years.

If I could turn that luck into any other areas of my life I'd be all set...
Thanks! It really does feel like the guitar gods are looking out for you sometimes, doesn't it? The last time I got this lucky was when I got pulled up on stage from the audience to play guitar with my favourite band. I really wish these right place, right time moments could also involve the lottery, and not just music. :rotflmao

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
And natural mahogany finish is the best! The few used Gibson Explorers I've seen in a reasonable price range over the past two decades were all in ebony and cherry finishes, and I'm just not a fan of that. Mine isn't all one piece, but they did a great job of matching the grain up, and it's got this cool sort of triangular thing going on at the upper edge:

On your Explorer, the natural grain and colour complements the angular shape really well - brings something organic to what otherwise might be a very synthetic party.

Barquentine

You said that you already had a decent copy Explorer with upgraded pickups. What differences do you feel/hear with the Gibson?

GraceToo

You said that you already had a decent copy Explorer with upgraded pickups. What differences do you feel/hear with the Gibson?
Main differences are in the feel of the fretboard/neck and the quality of the hardware, and obviously the aesthetics. Completely different neck profile, smoother fret edges, higher quality tuners, real nut vs cheap plastic nut. Sound-wise, the differences are pretty subtle. I can't say I prefer one over the other -- they both sound great. The Gibson has a little more sustain, but the copy has maybe a touch more bite in the high end (uncovered p'ups). It's undoubtedly a better guitar overall, but I really wasn't prepared to spend over $2k for it when the copy already sounded and played really well. The max I'm willing to go on any guitar is about $1.2-1.5k, so I lucked out on this one for sure!

Cornholio

I dig it. I got a black explorer and I can't put it down. Previous owner removed stock and put in a JB in the bridge and jazz in the neck. I swapped out the JB for a Wolfetone Marshallhead.

Trending Topics