NGD - My 2nd Reverend: Jetstream 390

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeoy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. zeoy

zeoy Member

A couple of years after my 1st Reverend (a PA-1) I got my second one. A beautiful black Jetstream 390 with a roasted maple neck.

The construction of the guitar is impressive (neck, neck pocket fit, nut, fretwork, binding, contours, fit and finish are all perfect) and 3 P-90s with a five way switch plus the bass contour knob allow for many great sounds. Works great for clean and distorted sounds. Tremolo feels great and tuning stability is excellent. I'm easily at well below 1.5 mm at the 12 fret without any buzzing. At 7.9 lbs is not light but doesn't feel heavy and it's very well balanced. It could do with a better quality tortoise pickguard (practically my only complain).

Some random cell phone pictures below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. shupe13

shupe13 Member

3. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Love it! Congratulations!

I was set to pull the trigger on one of those and then they released the updated version with the roasted maple necks, so I've been waiting for enough of them to show up used that I can get a deal.

Despite being heavily influenced by guitars of the past, I somehow feel like Reverenends have their own quasi-vintage vibe in a way that many other manufacturers don't.

Pongo and 04andrew22 like this.
  4. McGTR

McGTR Member

Oh yeah, Im sure you’ll get lots of joy with that one! I love the maple neck!

5. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Congrats! To me, Reverends are really tough to beat in terms of playability/build quality/useful features at their price point, especially on the used market. I just got my 2nd last week, as well -- wasn't planning on it, but came across a deal for a Warhawk II 390 that I just couldnt pass up. Makes a nice pair with my Six Gun!

Definitely keep an eye out! I kinda was using the same strategy, so I think if you can score one in the $500-600 range that's a really solid deal (depending on which model you're looking for). They used to pop up in the mid-high $400 range, but unfortunately haven't seen that as much since Reverend starting raising their pricing.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  6. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

7. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Nice guitars

Pongo likes this.
  8. CardinalComb

CardinalComb Member

Sweet axe. I’ve got a sensai jr myself. Probably one of the best import guitars I’ve owned.

[​IMG]

Pongo likes this.
  9. Pongo

Pongo Member

New or used, it is hard to get more guitar for your dollar than with a Reverend. They are fun, aesthetic pleasers, and infinitely giggable guitars. Congrats: you're gonna love it!

Couldn't agree more!

McGTR likes this.
  10. zeoy

zeoy Member

Thanks!

The roasted maple neck feels great (very light satin finish), looks beautiful and seems very stable. I also like their designs. It's hard to deviate from the classics and remain attractive. I like the shape of the Charger models even better but I wanted something with a Strat-like tremolo (I'm covered in terms of Bigsbys and Jazzmaster trems)

Can't wait to use it in high dB applications (gigs/rehearsals). For the moment I've played it only at home but it's really a joy.

I bought it new from their biggest EU dealer in Glasgow UK (merchant city - guitar.co.uk). I was checking reverb and ebay but I haven't found any jetstream 390/roasted maple so I couldn't wait any more (esp. given the forthcoming Brexit). Enjoy your Warhawk and Six Gun!

[​IMG] indeed!

Hey, is this a MIA? Looks great!

Senseis look like serious rock machines. Enjoy yours.

Thanks. Both my PA-1 with humbuckers and the new JS390 are really fine and super versatile instruments for reasonable prices.

One thing I didn't mention in my 1st post is how well the P90s clean up with the volume knob. I play mainly with clean amps and for dirt I use a Weehbo JMP (great plexi box), MXR Super Bad@ss and a Musket Fuzz clone. The Weehbo and the MXR with the JS390 can be used as always on and go from clean to high gain with just the volume knob.

I was a bit skeptical about the P90s (as they tend to hum a lot) but these P90s don't seem noisier than my AV65 pickups in my Jazzmaster or the Nocasters in my Tele.

Pongo and 04andrew22 like this.
  11. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

From the side the neck looks just like my PRS SE CU24 Roasted Maple. Same color and grain pattern type - neat! I think a Reverend might be the next guitar I want to try, because I'm looking for a hybrid of sorts and Reverend seems to have that formula down.

Great guitar OP!

12. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Man, I love these. I wish they (still?) made a 1 humbucker version for the times I want to bash out power chords and leads - and not worry about a neck pickup.

13. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Silver Supporting Member

Congrats to the OP - terrific looking guitar!

Reverend really seems to be undergoing a renaissance of late. I have a feeling that this is largely due to Ken Haas buying the company and taking over. Probably doesn't hurt to have Greg Koch coming on board as an endorser, but at the end of the day it's always going to boil down to quality. They make a great quality instrument, period, and I don't care where they come from.

14. strawberries

strawberries Member

Love p90s. Great looking guitar.

15. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

I love P90s and Reverend guitars!!

16. mikebat

mikebat Member

Congrats! I really like mine too, I have the P90 PA-1 and a Club King 290, and they are great.

I would love to try a Revtron equipped guitar, or maybe their new mini HB's.......

17. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Welles; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Great!
    And 7.9 lbs is a great weight!

18. derekd

derekd Member

Congrats.

I've liked every Reverend I've played. Yours looks pretty sweet.

19. Pongo

Pongo Member

Their P90s sound great. Like you say, they clean up great as you reduce the volume, and with the bass contour and tone knobs, you've got some really incredible options!

On the not-so-great side, I'll warn you that your skepticism on the hum/noise may be re-confirmed after a few gigs. I've played in a lot of rooms with a lot of pickups; my Jetstream 390, while not giving off a ton of single coil hum on its own, was almost laughably sensitive to any sort of interference (so bad I once had to finish a gig using only the 2 and 4 position). It's something you can mitigate with a little bit of know-how, but be aware that they can be well-behaved in one setting and completely out of control in another lol (I say this as someone who loves Reverend's stock P90s).

20. zeoy

zeoy Member

Thanks. Maybe they get their neck woods from the same supplier. Very likely given that both factory are S. Korea based.
    There's a great range in Reverend in terms of shape, scale, pickups, tremolo etc so there's maybe something for you.

Yes, Ken seems very active and Greg seems very happy with his sig model. Lots of great guitars come from S. Korea these days and the Mirr factory seems to be one of the best there.

Reverends and P90s seem to be well loved these days. It's practically my first P90 guitar but now I get it. Thanks guys!

Mini HBs is their latest addition in their pickup range. I also like what I heard from their (Joe Naylor's) Railhammer pickups. Enjoy your revs. Love my PA-1 (with HBs though).

Yes, most of my guitars are in that weight range. Works fine for me.

You're lucky to have first hand experience. I bought my Revs sight unseen but I'm very happy with both of them.

I'm sure there will be cases like that. That's why I almost always carry a 2 HB (or noiseless singles) backup guitar. On the other hand, I usually gig with a Jazzmaster and they're not the quietest guitars in the world. I only had a serious problem in a venue where I had only my Tele. It was humming and buzzing like crazy in all positions (even in the B+N which is hum cancelling). Strangely all this noise was stopping once I was engaging my trusty Danelectro TOD V1. So I put it in a very low gain setting and played the gig without problems.

I also plan to rewire it using well shielded cable for all the hot leads as a precaution and hope for the best.

When I was gigging a lot in the 90s, I was young and naive but my '91 Levinson Strat had noiseless single coils, I was rarely using pedals (had a multi-channel amp) so I didn't know what hum/buzz means. Now I know better ... Thanks for the heads up though :)

Pongo and derekd like this.