NGD: My Favorite Guitar - X2!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GAD, Feb 19, 2012.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I've owned some pretty nice guitars. I've owned many R9s, R8s, Jackson Custom shop guitars, limited editions, and so-on. Still, out of all those high price-tag guitars, My lowly import Jackson Sam-Ash special SL2H is my favorite guitar.

[​IMG]

When I first got back into playing, this was the guitar I picked up. It was purely by chance, but I just dug it. I think I paid $800 for it new from Sam Ash.

Jackson aficionados would likely scoff. It's got plastic inlays, likely plastic binding, a veneer top, a black back, and a Korean Floyd Rose. I've owned more than one USA Jackson SL2H - Hell, I still own one:

[​IMG]

That Custom Shop Jackson probably sold for 4-5 times what my import Jackson cost, but I still like the import better. Why? I'll tell you why. :)

The Sam Ash Jackson has an arched top. The volume knob is in a different position as well. These two features alone mean I don't hit the volume when I play. On all the other Jacksons I've played, the volume gets in the way. Not on this one.

Along with an arched top, the import Jackson has bevelled cutaways. Sexy! Jackson recently started selling guitars that look similar, but I couldn't find any to play, and they look like the knob is where other Jacksons have it - not where I like it.

[​IMG]

I bought my import new, in 2008 from Sam Ash. I've never seen another in person. I've come close to buying an older Jackson Professional, because they look really close and have ebony fretboards, but I never did.

Recently, I put an add in the Emporium, asking if, by some miracle, anyone had one of these wonderful guitars that they would be willing to sell. After some dead ends and near misses, Mikey2201 pointed me to the Cherry Hill Guitar Center where he saw one. It took me three hours to drive down there, but low and behold, they had one, and it was MINT! After some frustrating haggling (cash meant nothing to them!), I bought it.

[​IMG]

My original one has been upgraded over the years. It has a brass Floyd Upgrade block, WCR American Steele pickups, and I added a coil tap to the tone knob. This one will get WCRs as well as a brass block, if for no other reason than I despise having the words SEYMOUR DUNCAN on my pickups.

This is the only guitar for which I have two of the same model and configuration. I will be shipping one to my work location in another state so that I can have my favorite guitar both home and away. I'm stoked!

2. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Cool story - congrats!

3. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

Two of the same model but, never Identical. Enjoy!

4. scolfax

scolfax Member

Nice! Thanks for the write-up!

5. pb641

pb641 Member

I had no idea they even had a carved top type. Looks really nice, but the only important thing is you like it. Congrats.

6. GAD

Thanks. I actually considered having the Custom Shop make one exactly like it, but I think it would cost something like $4000+

7. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Too cool! Love the carved top Soloists. and that blue is killer. Thanks for the great writeup and the great story.

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Right on. My third guitar in 1986, I think, was a carved-top soloist. Likely the 'best' guitar I've ever owned. Had an equally nice Kramer Stagemaster a few years later and it was the guitar I owned the longest for any single electric guitar. I'd say both, after a proper setup, were technically flawless guitars... I just grew to want to get back to owning a basic strat and in those days, most of us only owned one guitar at a time.

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

Glad you're stoked. That's all I need to hear. Enjoy. :)

10. GAD

Anyone have pics of other archtop soloists? I'd love to see them!

11. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

Cool guitar and thanks for the shout:)

Glad I could help

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  12. DonP

DonP Member

Sorry to bump up old thread, but I just picked one of these up.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if it will keep up with the 750XL, but I'll give it a try.
    [​IMG]

And I promise to do something about those pickups that say SD on them LOL!

13. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^love these guitars! Big up!

14. rummy

rummy Member

15. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

This is TGP. You should know by now that cheap guitars are not accepted. This type of insolence cannot be tolerated.

I have reported you to the Mods.

16. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

What body wood is used on these Jackson imports?

17. DonP

DonP Member

I'm not sure, but since it was made in Japan I'm guessing Alder or Poplar. Most guitar companies would switch between these two woods simply based on which was cheaper at the time. At the time, Poplar was getting more expensive and companies were switching back to Alder (MIM Fenders are a great example of this). And this as made after Fender bought out Charvel / Jackson, so they may have ordered these with Alder (from Japan).

I just got it home last night. It was all de-tuned, so I had to crank in the claw screws and up-tune it to E. The increased string tension gave the neck bow which I'll adjust out with the truss rod, but I was eager to play and here it.

When I think Jackson with a JB pickup, I think Megadeth, so I quickly started knocking out some tunes. Sounded and played fantastic, but I'm sure it will play better with the setup corrected and a little lower action.

I'm pretty happy with it and may do a few upgrades. What do you guy think of:
    Stain the fretboard black like ebony?
    pull the MOTO inlays and replace with real MOP?
    Trem upgrades - big block maybe? It does have a brass block, but it is tiny LOL!

18. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Not sure about the MOP inlay, but staining the fretboard and the trem upgrade would be cool. Will a stain set well enough not to rub off on sweaty fingers? It would be a bummer to get stain on your hands every time you played the thing..

19. DonP

DonP Member

Yep. I've stained another fretboard already no issues with it coming off. MOP won't stain, but plastic will. Got to be careful.

Found out the body wood is alder for these.

20. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I had one of these...miss it!!!