NGD: My first Martin! (2019 000-15SM)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by beatcomber, May 1, 2019.

1. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

I was in The Music Emporium here in Lexington on Monday afternoon buying some strings, and decided to check out the Martin 00015-SM I saw on the rack.

I was taken aback by how rich and well-balanced it sounded, and I loved the slotted headstock and simple, classic appointments. I couldn't stop thinking about it, and went back this morning right when they opened, ready to make a deal; I brought with me my '64 Gibson F25 Folksinger for trade-in.

I won't go into the details, but I feel like I got a crackin' good deal from The Music Emporium, and the whole negotiation process was painless and easy. They were willing to give me credit that was about $25 more than I paid for the Gibson last year, plus they knocked $200 off the sticker price advertised on most dealer websites for the 00015-SM. Because my cash outlay was minimal, I didn't have to pay a lot of sales tax either.

At the end of the day, I was able to acquire a brand new Martin for not a whole lot more than what they typically go for on the used market.

Unlike buying sight unseen from an online dealer, I was able to ensure before purchasing that the guitar sounds/looks good and plays well. I was also very happy to support a business located in my home town.

The only downside is I had to go directly from The Music Emporium to work, and the sweet smell of mahogany tormented me all day!

Below are photos from TME's website of the actual guitar that I purchased. She's a beauty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

73171, Bryan T, thebowl and 3 others like this.
  2. monty

monty Member

Beauty!!

beatcomber likes this.
  3. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

I'm a Martin all hog fan too!....welcome to the club, it's a beauty;)

beatcomber likes this.
  4. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

That's a fantastic guitar! I was SO close to purchasing one last week but ultimately went with the M-36. I loved the sound, playability and feel of that guitar so much I almost purchased both to have the different sounds. Seemed like the slotted headstock really contributed to the tone but I wasn't sold on having to string it.
    Good luck, she's a beauty!

beatcomber likes this.
  5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

My favorite Martin model! Congrats!!

beatcomber likes this.
  6. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

Thanks for the kind responses!

I see you're also in Massachusetts... was the one you played the one I bought, at The Music Emporium in Lexington?

7. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

8. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

It was not yours, I am on the south shore.

beatcomber likes this.
  9. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

That's a beauty! I bought a non- S 000-15M a few years ago and love it. It's got a rich woody tone and a decent price. They're great guitars!

beatcomber likes this.
  10. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

I brought the guitar back to the Music Emporium this morning to have then tweak the action for me. It played well with the factory setting, but the saddle was maybe 1/32" taller than I like. They were quite happy to put it up on the bench and sand it down for me, and now it's perfect.

I like online dealers like Musician's Friend just fine, but this is the kind of service you can only get from a local dealer!

Irving Pye likes this.
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

I spent about 30 Minutes playing that actual guitar. (back and forth with The Mahogany Waterloo and the 1935 oo-17 they have) and you got a good one a really good one.

beatcomber likes this.
  12. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

I appreciate the confirmation, thank you!

The only other all-mahogany guitar I've ever played is a 000-15M at the Guitar Center on Boylston, and it sounded like it was filled with wet socks, really dead-sounding. Was it just a bad example or were the strings old? I dunno.

Based on that experience, I was quite surprised when I picked up the 000-15SM at TME and found it to my liking.