NGD! My first Road Worn

DavidRF

After many years of reading how good the old Road Worn were, I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one. It's not so easy to find one, and they recently went up (a lot) in price. Still, I managed to get this bad girl here:

yShLZLM.jpg

It's a 2009 in Olympic White. I have to say, I owned many MIA Strats up to Elite/FSR/Select and a bunch of high end MIMs (you can check a couple of them in my signature); still, this RW really impressed me and made me a firm believer. It's not hype, these guitars are just good.

U6YpUQZ.jpg

For the most part, the guitar is exactly what I expected it to be after having read so many comments over the years. The relic job is a bit "artificial", yes. The guitar is very (very) resonant, probably because of the nitro finish, yes. The guitar is very light, yes (7,2lbs / 3,26kgs). But what I've never read/heard and I didn't expect, was the quality of neck and fretboard.

lDGzfyh.jpg

The neck shape, smoothness, feel, totally blew me away. And the fretwork is absolutely perfect, giving me the ability to make extreme bends even with a 7,25 radius. The fingerboard edges are perfectly rolled, the frets are like you could see in very high-end guitars. The general feeling is simply awesome: this guitar feels like home. Again, I owned many Strats that were much more expensive than this one, but in certain aspects this is the best Strat I've ever owned. What the hell.

1kenYei.jpg

I was never a fan of relic, especially if made this way, but I have to say feeling, playability and sound trumps everything, and now even the looks of this guitar are beginning to grow on me. By the way, it didn't came with its stock pickups (that were given to me anyway) but with Custom Shop Texas Specials. I have to say they're not my ideal pickups for a classic Strat but they sure have their use.

HwIeARm.jpg

In the end, by the way, I think I'm going to sell the Custom Shop Texas Specials and get something closer to my idea of "vintage strat": a set of Vineham Smokin 62s. I don't think I could ever praise enough the exceptional price/quality ratio of Craig Vineham's creations.

3jA6a7h.jpg

That's all folks! :D

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
You might sink those tex mex pickups deeper into the body, like barely above the pick guard to get the very best sound out of them.
Found out that this really takes these guitars way over the top even though they are already way over the top already.

Another thing. If you look at the grain structure and features of the bare wood spots, your guitar body just might be Ash.
I think the body on my Road Worn is ash too.

DavidRF

You might sink those tex mex pickups deeper into the body, like barely above the pick guard to get the very best sound out of them.
Found out that this really takes these guitars way over the top even though they are already way over the top already.

Another thing. If you look at the grain structure and features of the bare wood spots, your guitar body just might be Ash.
I think the body on my Road Worn is ash too.
Interesting observation about the wood grain! Mhh I will look more into it.
About the pickups: the stock Tex-Mex are in a box somewhere, the guitar came with Custom Shop Texas Specials installed and I've already lowered them a lot, almost flush on the body. I must say, they sound a lot like classic vintage pickups if kept so low! I could have not imagined that...

soldersucker

Congrats on the NGD looks sweet love Olympic White Reliced.
I'm on my 3rd RW 60's now and picked a 2009 up last week as part of a sweet 2 Strat deal.
One thing i've found about these is the consistency my friends own these too and they all feel very similar ad weigh within ounces
On Friday night some Evans Eliminator pickups ive been hoarding went in and now it is next level.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
I've yet to play a roadworn guitar or bass that wasn't very nice.

Congrats.

monty

Congrats David, those white ones look sweet.
I have a 08 in sunburst, like you I have had pricier Strats but this one has remained my favorite through the years. I once did a head to head with it and 2 legit 60's Strats and I liked it better than one of them and held it's own with the other one.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Nice guitfiddle! My Road Worn was my #1 gigger for my last years of gigging and the only "strat" I like a little better these no longer gigging days is my PRS Silver Sky. But I could tell the RW was the best hunk of wood in the shop the day I bought it, at all price points. And, with a few tweaks, it was one of the better Strats I've ever played. I replaced the pickups with Mare Josie/Vaughn's, the potmetal tremblock with a Callaham steel, and the saddles with Highwood's...but the wood just had "it" from the get go.

Good luck with the RW...sounds like you found a good one! My dealer had 5 when I bought mine but only this one had "it"!

Studio Owner

That's rugged. Road worn, like a hard working musician who spent years, decades on the road, sacrificed more than you can imagine, spent every ounce of his sweat, blood, and life for no reward but the music.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom