• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD - My first Strat Partscaster

Rab1s

I found an old Squier II Strat in my closet that a friend gave to me a while back. I pretty much gutted it and re-finished it. Its kinda been an on going project for the past few years. Went from Red, to Spidey, to Surf Green, which is where its staying for now. Picking up parts here and there. Heres the parts I used

Mighty Might Maple C Neck with Large Headstock - $100
GFS 3ply Strat Guard - $12
Switchcraft Jack - $3
Alpha 1meg Pots - $2 ea
Fender 5 Way - $12
Vintage Noiseless Strat Pickups - Used $75
MIM Big Block bridge with fender stamped Bent saddles - $20

All in all it sounds amazing. I really like the Mighty Might neck. It feels great with the oil finish and the fret ends aren't too bad. No buzz, no fretting out, and its straight as an arrow. Intonates perfectly. Im pretty happy with it.

The only thing that erks me is the finish. The guy who did it did a great job, but I didn't provide enough clear so its got a few chips already (most where my fault. Had to do some routing for the brigde, made a few chips around the neck pocket trying to get the neck in (it was a snug fit) and a mysterious chip that shouwed up on the back of the top horn.) No chips on the front though. I think Maybe a while down the road I might spring for a lighter Alpine white body (the body itself weighs about 6-7 lbs I have no idea what its made of) but for now its fine. Anyway heres a pic of it. Ill get a few more later tonight.

Started as this:

Then it became this:

But due to improper finishing knowledge, the paint bubbled and white spots covered it. So we took it down to wood and now it rests as this:

It was missing a string but I have since restrung it and set it up.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Looks great. You know I never would thought that Pickguard color would work but it really does.

Btw is the guitar super bright with those 1 meg pots?

Rab1s

Looks great. You know I never would thought that Pickguard color would work but it really does.

Btw is the guitar super bright with those 1 meg pots?
No surprisingly. Its a tad bright on the bridge pup, I usually end up turning the tone on the bridge down just a tad bit (have the tones wired Neck+middle on one, bridge on two) but its not too bad. They were really muddy with even 250k pots

T Dizz

good call on changing it from the Spiderman motif.. The latest incarnation is by far the best!!

Guitarworks

Then it became this:
Man, I got a good chuckle when I saw this. Nice work! I love the web graphics and the perfect shade of blue guard. Many years ago, I had a similar idea, but I was thinking of doing a 'Joker' motif strat with a lime green body, purple moto guard, and red knobs.

StratoCraig

Vintage Noiseless pups are normally set up with a 250k volume pot and 500k tone pot. At least, that's what Fender puts in the Deluxe Players Strat.

Rab1s

Vintage Noiseless pups are normally set up with a 250k volume pot and 500k tone pot. At least, that's what Fender puts in the Deluxe Players Strat.
Are they? I looked it up and I thought that it was 1 meg pots. Well, at least that's the way it is in the American Deluxe.

and even still, the thing gets a tad muddy. Even in my bright channel on my Classic 50, I have to turn the bass down to like 5 (I usually have it with my Tele and Jaguar at 8.5)

Man, I got a good chuckle when I saw this. Nice work! I love the web graphics and the perfect shade of blue guard. Many years ago, I had a similar idea, but I was thinking of doing a 'Joker' motif strat with a lime green body, purple moto guard, and red knobs.
Ha thanks. My wife did all the webs free hand, and I just found the blue at like home depot. I might have tried it again if I had like 3 strats but being my only strat I wanted it to be a normal looking guitar haha.

StratoCraig

Are they? I looked it up and I thought that it was 1 meg pots. Well, at least that's the way it is in the American Deluxe.

and even still, the thing gets a tad muddy. Even in my bright channel on my Classic 50, I have to turn the bass down to like 5 (I usually have it with my Tele and Jaguar at 8.5)
I hadn't been aware that the Am Deluxe Strat came with 1M pots. That's interesting. But according to Fender's web site, the Am Deluxe Strat has N3 Noiseless, not Vintage Noiseless. I'm not sure how the N3's differ from the Vintage Noiseless, but if you look up the corresponding Fender PDF for the Deluxe Players Strat, you'll see that it has 250k volume and 500k tone pots. I own a Deluxe Players (it's the blue guitar in my avatar), and having swapped out all the electronics, I can confirm that the original pots were what the PDF says.

Rab1s

I hadn't been aware that the Am Deluxe Strat came with 1M pots. That's interesting. But according to Fender's web site, the Am Deluxe Strat has N3 Noiseless, not Vintage Noiseless. I'm not sure how the N3's differ from the Vintage Noiseless, but if you look up the corresponding Fender PDF for the Deluxe Players Strat, you'll see that it has 250k volume and 500k tone pots. I own a Deluxe Players (it's the blue guitar in my avatar), and having swapped out all the electronics, I can confirm that the original pots were what the PDF says.
Gotcha. Good Catch. Hmm I wonder whats going on them. Cuz like I said I have to have the bass way down even with the 1meg pots.

And my buddy has that guitar as well. Beautiful. I've always wanted to know, whats the "all on" position sound like?

Last edited:

StratoCraig

I'm not fond of the "all three pickups" position. It kind of loses the distinctive qualities of all three pickups at once. It would be okay for strumming rhythm chords in the background, I suppose.

Trending Topics