NGD = my %#*\ing fingers!

shawnshack

I've been gassing for an LP, so I picked up a cheap LTD (EC245). I got a killer deal from an eBay store and figured I'd give it a shot. I'm blown away. Looks great and plays great. I just bought a set of pickups from the emporium and I'm hoping it helps it to sound great as well (the stock pups leave a lot to be desired). Anyway, I'm a huge pansy and only play 9's. This came strung up with 10's and since I had ordered pickups, I opted to wait to change the strings until I install them. I haven't regularly played anything heavier than 9's for well over a decade. My fingers are sore as hell, but I'm having a blast. This thing will really feel good when I put my 9's on it :).

EDIT: Pic now included :)

Last edited:

Phnurt

Gold Supporting Member
Happy ngd!

Every few years I get the idea in my head to try 10's for a "different" sound. It usually lasts about a week and I'm right back to my hybrid 9's. :)

shawnshack

I honestly thought about keeping 10's on it and 9's on my strats. I think some people do that... I was thinking it'd help to keep my fingers strong. But %*#! that. My fingers hurt. I need every bit of help I can get.

dmkz

Silver Supporting Member
Every once in a while I play a game with myself called "take a solo without f**king bending." I play with 10s and 11s so it's nice to challenge myself to hit the notes in other ways then just the usual muscle memory tricks.

Congrats on your NGD!!!! And now,

:worthless

shawnshack

Every once in a while I play a game with myself called "take a solo without f**king bending." I play with 10s and 11s so it's nice to challenge myself to hit the notes in other ways then just the usual muscle memory tricks.

Congrats on your NGD!!!! And now,

:worthless

You're right. I'll get some tomorrow. I left town for the day, so I'm not near it right now.

Toogy

It could also be the extra jumbo frets on the LTD, I just got an LTD EC-1000 and those frets will make your fingers sore until you adjust!

cliffenstein

Wow...I play 11's on my Electrics and 12's on my Acoustic. I can't even imagine what 9's would feel like!

Oh...and happy new guitar day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You're supposed to put a pic up, y'know!)

TheClev

As seen on TV
If you like the LTD, next time you're in the market for a Les Paul, take a look at Edwards. It's also made by ESP, and my Edwards Les Paul is like my old EC-1000 dialed up to 11.

MHG

I've gone back and forth between 9's and 10s, and have found 9.5s to be just perfect!

rsm

wait until you get arthritis, then tell me about using 9s :confused:

That said, I still use 10s on my Rics. It's painful in many ways. :(

John_M

Silver Supporting Member
Unintentional consequence of this thread - -was listening back to my "in the day" late 80's early 90's self and wondering why I couldn't quite play like that anymore - - beyond the age factor - and realized I was playing 9's back then. Now I go 10's across the board and 11's on acoustic. From around 94-2000 I played exclusively acoustic in a 4 piece band - that changed the way I approached the instrument. Might have to spend a few bucks on a set of 9s and 9.5s for fun...hmmmmph

rufedges

On the shorter scale guitars, 9's on a Gibson should be more like 8.5, in comparison to a strat. I love bigger strings, yes, harder to bend and such, but the tone payoff is worth it. I don't think I could play 9's right now, I'd probably break them in the first song. 12-54 currently, 1/2 step down on a strat, so probably more like 11's or 11.5s in reality.

Trending Topics