• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD... Mystic Red seduces me...

DHart

I've been really focusing on my Strats lately. I recently sold one of my Les Pauls to fund some Strat modding. I wanted a maple board on my Sienna SB Strat, which had rosewood when I bought it. And I wanted a Mystic Red Strat with a rosewood board... so I bought a Mystic Red with maple and swapped the necks. Tonight I installed DAllen 69 VooDoos in place of the Fat '50s in the Mystic Red. I love the sound of Fat '50s (they are in the Sienna SB also), but when comparing side-by-side to DAllen 69VooDoos, the wonderful Fat '50s pale just a bit in comparison... though they really are great pickups in their own right.

Now I have the necks just the way I want them.

P1040488.jpg

It's time to get all black plastics on the Mystic Red! I am blown away by the deep beauty of Mystic Red... I had been pouring over pictures and Fender color charts trying to decide on the best red -for me-. Candy Apple and Candy Cola were strong contenders, but when I saw a few pics of Mystic Red Strats, and one with all black plastics, that was it. Favorite Fender red FOUND. This color is like freakin' blood, it's so intense, rich and dense. Mystical is right. I just love it.

And as for the MIM Standard Midnight Wine... I've got pup changes planned for that... DAllens. And probably black plastics for that as well. This too is a new guitar. For $499 and free shipping to my door, I thought I'd take a chance on an MIM. Turns out to be an impressively well made and finished guitar.... very well put together and only lacking great pickups. With great pickups installed, it will easily hold its own against my American Standards and at around 1/2 the price of the Americans (after premium pickups installed) what a steal!

I love Les Pauls and still have my Standard with highly figured Trans Amber finish, but the Strats are so comfortable and easy to play and those single coil tones really send me. I feel very blessed to have such wonderful instruments to play.

Last edited:

DHart

Thanks, bigtone. I haven't seen the Mystic Blue, but I'm sure it's got some real pizzaz.

UncleStric

That's a wonderful Sienna Sunburst! Gorgeous! Back in 2007 when I was ordering a Strat I could hardly decide between a Sienna and a regular 3-tone. I eventually went with the 3-tone burst because the Sienna came with an ash body and a +100$ increase (or something like that), but every time I see that Sienna I wish had bought that one, haha!

DHart

musicman... thanks.

Uncle... yes, I've never been one to gravitate toward sunburst finishes, myself. The Sienna SB is the first sunburst finish that I have actually liked and this particular sample just happened to have great grain in the ash, so I could not resist.

jonthomas83

I love that Mystic Red, stunning. What has made me GAS more though...the Midnight Wine Strat, I thought I wanted a Midnight Wine Tele, but now you've made me want the Strat!

Stunning collection, man!

Imzadi

I'm not usually a big fan of red on a guitar, but I really like that shade. It's gorgeous.

DHart

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I'm not usually a big fan of red on a guitar, but I really like that shade. It's gorgeous.

I wasn't a big fan of red guitars myself, either. But I do like the deep tones like wine red, maroon, burgundy, etc. I had looked at Candy Apple Red and Candy Cola, wondering if they would be deep enough for my liking. It was when I was seeking a Strat color with one of those really deep tones that I came across the Mystic Red and found it about as dark and incredibly rich looking as blood. It has that magical visual effect that blood also has where it can look incredibly deep and dark and yet remain intensely colorful. Seeing Mystic Red in person totally changed my view of of red guitars... I'm a huge fan of Mystic Red now.

I have a black pick guard and black knobs on it now, which looks really great. But I'm still waiting for black pickup covers to complete the look... then I'll make more photos of it. I think black plastics really enhance the deep blood red much better than white plastics do.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom