NGD - New Gibson Day

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rob2966, Apr 7, 2015.

1. rob2966

rob2966 Member

After almost 30 years of playing guitar I finally bought my 1st Gibson. It is a ES339 in satin cherry. Loving it so far, so versatile, really fills in the tone gaps left by my other guitars (Strat, Suhr HSS, JP70).

I really like the satin finish as well (and can't complain about the saving of $700 either). Even if it starts to show glossy wear on the finish I still think it will look really cool.

So far it seems to stay in tune quite well, even the G string :).

I find it hard to follow the variations of Gibsons from year to year (this one was purchased new) but I suspect it is either a 2013 or 2014, given the Kluson tuners, etc. It probably has the 57 classic HBs in it, not the Burstbucker, not sure how to tell the difference. Either way, it plays like butter and sounds amazing so the specs are kind of irrelevant (although I am curious).

Later
    Rob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SeanDog

SeanDog Member

I love my 08 339 figured. It has such incredible tones that really shine with some overdrive. Only issue I have with it is that it won't stay in tune, and I'm almost certain it's the tuning knobs because that's where the clicking is coming from... Also the bridge volume knob won't stay on.

Other than that it's an amazing instrument, I still get 335 GAS from time to time however... I think you will love this guitar!

3. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

put some graphite on your nut

4. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

Very nice. Love that color. My dream guitar is a Gibson ES-335 faded satin cherry.

Before buying a full-size semi-hollow I tried out the smaller 339 shapes. My hands are too big for the smaller shape where the neck joins the body.

So is this your first experience with a semi-hollow? I love how they sustain and vibrate against my chest when playing them. There's just nothing else like 'em. I'm never going back.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Beautiful. There's nothing quite like a great Gibson.

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

How does it balance? I've never played one, but I wondered if they're maybe neck heavy?

7. rob2966

rob2966 Member

This is my first semi-hollow guitar, it does feel very 'alive' which I do like. My hands are reasonably large too so it is a bit cramped above the 19th fret on this one (but I can make it work). For me the ergonomic advantages of the small body vs the 335 outweigh the cramped lower horn. It is a tiny bit neck heavy on my current strap (the rough leather is enough to prevent any diving though). I suspect the heel mounted strap-button (vs upper horn) is the biggest factor there. Completely unnoticeable when actually playing it though.

8. sarcoid

sarcoid Member

very nice meng. congrats.

9. Spoonful

Spoonful Member

Very fine guitars. Enjoy yours. Really glad I have one.

10. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

I'm a 339 fan. I bought the studio model for Xmas. It also has the 57 pickups in it, and sounds very good.

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Congrats. Lift a pickup the next time you change strings. '57s only have PAF stickers. Burstbuckers have it and another sticker.

12. dwk302

dwk302 Member

Nice score. 339s are fantastic!

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

That's awesome. It is one really cool looking guitar. I hope it does
    everything you'd want it to . The Gibson Semi's are some really versatile guitars tone wise. It should be able to cover a lot of ground. Enjoy!!!!