NGD - New Gretsch Day

Dashface

Fantastic, OP. The colour looks just perfect.
One of my very favourite guitars is my Setzer Hot Rod. There’s something real good about their Setzer models. Enjoy that thing!

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome! :cool:

What’s the neck profile like on these? I love Gretsches (Gretschs? Gretschi? o_O), but the necks are always too thin for me. :(

LookerBob

Silver Supporting Member
Dang, that's tasty. The 6120 I used to own was a super nice, awesome guitar that I didn't have a ton of use for... but I'll own another some day... looks like this'll be a model to scope out.

sws1

Awesome! :cool:

What’s the neck profile like on these? I love Gretsches (Gretschs? Gretschi? o_O), but the necks are always too thin for me. :(
This neck is what they called Vintage V. It's thinner than a Gibson Les Paul, but not super thin. In my categorization of guitar sizes, I would put this in the 'medium to big' neck category. Side by side with a regular 6120, it felt different. Could be the rolled binding edges which make it feel more comfortable. I can't stand guitars any more that have fretboard edges that haven't been rounded. I'm too used to relic'd, vintage, rolled guitars. (I really want to buy a Reverend, but every time I grab the neck, it's shocking. As soon as they start rolling the edges, I'm in.)

Peter Ellman

Gold Supporting Member
Hey you are here too!
Cool Guitar. Any thought previously to the Stephen stern Setzer? Obviously a lot more pricey....

BVC

New Setzer "Smoke" model 6120. Different tweaks than a standard 6120, but without the crazy colors and/or dice knobs (those do come in the case). Super thin matte lacquer and more amber colored than the orange 6120s. Ray Butts pickups. Few other differences.
OH - and my first Gretsch.

This is a beauty! Fabulous "1st Gretsch," congrats! I like that it's a Setzer signature but has both switches, and in the right places! My first Gretsch was a 2004 reissue '62 Tennessean ("Tennessee Rose"), then I got a gorgeous 2008 reissue '62 Country Gentleman, the same models George H. played. Both of them lucky finds... wonderful and beautiful guitars, & surprisingly different from each other! Cheers!

sws1

This is a beauty! Fabulous "1st Gretsch," congrats! I like that it's a Setzer signature but has both switches, and in the right places! My first Gretsch was a 2004 reissue '62 Tennessean ("Tennessee Rose"), then I got a gorgeous 2008 reissue '62 Country Gentleman, the same models George H. played. Both of them lucky finds... wonderful and beautiful guitars, & surprisingly different from each other! Cheers!
The switches are reversed, I believe. Pickup switch is closer to the bridge. I always thought it was the other way around on most Gretsches.
Also the master volume knob is moved closer to the edge, and away from the guard. Just like his original '59 Smoke.

mqmurphy

New Setzer "Smoke" model 6120. Different tweaks than a standard 6120, but without the crazy colors and/or dice knobs (those do come in the case). Super thin matte lacquer and more amber colored than the orange 6120s. Ray Butts pickups. Few other differences.
OH - and my first Gretsch.

Nice - how are the Ray Butts pickups? Haven't heard them. I had a real '59 6120 - wish I still did.

sws1

Nice - how are the Ray Butts pickups? Haven't heard them. I had a real '59 6120 - wish I still did.
They are very clear. Top end is very smooth, and they are brighter than the TV Classics. They also don't have the honk that you hear in Setzer's playing.
This video is pretty accurate.

It is so nice to see Gretsch get back to "normal" and produce a traditional and good looking model without all the goofy colors and gadgets.

And excellent choice for your "first".
This one below was not my first Gretsch, but it is a "first", it is one of 3 prototype 6122 "Chet Atkins" (double Venetian cutaway) Country Gentleman model, it has no "formal" stamped serial number, only one hand written on the inside of the body and also marked #2. Made in mid 1960, it is the prototype of the first year 1961 Chet Atkins CG models. Somehow it ended up in the hands of a well known British band back in the 60's, where the Mute was removed and lost along the line. I bought it, on a biz trip for Fender to England in the 80's, through a connection I had in London that didn't know it was a prototype, didn't even know it was a "first year" version of a Country Gent .... I didn't know it was a prototype either and didn't discover that until a year later, but I knew it was a very early model. I still have it and is one of my favorite to play for that special Gretsch sound no other brand has ever duplicated.
https://nis.nikonimagespace.com/htm...otos/0jciqnb00000o546fbor00000xx_500_0000_001 [IMG/]

Vox66

Silver Supporting Member
I played sws1's new Gretsch Smoke the other day. He brought it over to my house and we compared it to my White Falcon and Duo Jet and it sounded awesome! Those Ray Butts pick ups definitely capture the vintage sound and dare I say it ....Stray Cats vibe. Gretsch did indeed do a great job on these new Setzer models... they play, sound and look great!!

Trending Topics