NGD - New Guitar Day -- Wildwood "10" Relic '61 Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ATL Strat, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ATL Strat

ATL Strat Silver Supporting Member

I'm waiting on the UPS truck right now. Here's the question, do I have to wait to open the box for solid body guitars? It is relic'ed already, should I care if the finish is exposed to a sudden change in temp?

Come on UPS truck!:bonk

2. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Depends on if you are ok with extra checking/cracks. Not saying its going to happen but you may get extrA relic...and might even see the process. :)

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, wait and then take it out and polish it with the supplied cloth!

No, it's a friggin' relic, bust it out and let it wail.

4. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

i honestly don't see how ngd threads like this get so much attention and that people even bother replying, but when its not a "omgzorz 5k $ brand" no one even bothers to look.

5. kidmo

kidmo Member

Contradict yourself much? Not sure what that even means...

Congrats on the upcoming NGD, as soon as you get it, rip it open and then tell us what happens...

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

Congrats! I bet it looks awesome. That JM you have in the emporium looks great.

7. Quartertank

Quartertank Member

if you are in atlanta, i doubt the temp difference is going to matter at all.

8. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I would say as long as the outside and inside temps are relatively close, I wouldn't worry about it. For example it spends all day on a truck at 60 degrees and then you open it in your house at 70 degrees you are OK. Now if it sits at your front door all day at 30 degrees and you get home from work and bring it right into your hot heated house, you might want to wait a bit.

9. Nada

Nada Member

congratulations! please post pics when you have them.

10. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

This. The Wildwood 10's are great guitars! What finish did you get? Is it one of the ones with the videos from the website? Let us know and congratulations!

11. Faded

Faded Member

Enjoy, can't wait for the pictures!

12. ATL Strat

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm in Atlanta, so inside and outside temp difference isn't huge. I got one with the relic'ed black finish. I actually picked it up used in the Emporium here. I'll show her off with some pics as soon as I get some free time tonight. I'm not sure if it is one of the video models or not - I'll check once I get her. I can't wait - this guitar has been one of my big wants for a long time now.

13. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

I say bust it out! I love wildwood 10s. They're a cut above. Congrats!

14. ATL Strat

Alright, I wasn't able to play her right away anyway due to dinner, baths and bed for the kids, so I let her sit for an couple hours before cracking the case. What a gorgeous guitar! Nicely reliced, great feeling neck, light body and really nice sounding pickups. After dialing her in for 11s, I spent few hours playing her. I'm impressed. Nicest modern strat that I've played. All-in-all, it was a nice NGD today (despite having to wait until 5:30 for the UPS truck - I wish that I took tomorrow off instead of today :./).

I'm a big believer in this:

:worthless

So, I put her down long enough to take and post a shot -- here you go:

[​IMG]

OK, enough of the computer, back to the strat...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  15. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

Black, hell yeah! Nice!

16. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

That looks awesome! That picture looks like one Fender themself could have taken as a promo shot :aok

17. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

18. ATL Strat

19. Quartertank

Quartertank Member

you can do a search about these pups on here and you'll find a pretty wide range of opinions on them. i happen to really like them, personally. nice open sound, pronounced bump (at least in my guitar) in the mids and upper mids. highs are sparkly but under control. not the bassiest pups ever, but not surprising on a strat. to me they sound best clean to the edge of breakup. not as good with heavier overdrive. imo, ymmv, etc.

EDIT: meant to say congrats, the black looks fantastic. enjoy!

20. ATL Strat

Thanks Quartertank. I'm still getting used to the guitar, so it will take a bit to figure out if I like them or not. I'll have to try these pickups with my Ceriatone Bluesmaster Dumble Clone. Typically, the Bluesmaster has a bit too much bass with Strats -- based on your description, these pickups may balance out nicely with that amp. Alternatively, I've also got a set of Custom Shop '60 pickups that I may try out in the guitar. I was in the uneviable position yesterday of not receiving the guitar until late, so my playing all had to be at fairly low levels. I can tell you that the guitar sounds great unplugged -- but I didn't buy her to play as an acoustic!