• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD: New Suhr Pete Thorn Signature in Garnet Red - WOW!!!!!!!

Grichman

I usually avoid signature guitars unless I can find them used for a pretty considerable discount, but Pete is a really stand up dude, and a monster player. Between my respect for him and my respect for Suhr as a company, I didn't hesitate.

Just got through running through the pickup selector / the push pull option for the bridge, and it's just amazing how versatile this thing is.

There are so many bloody sounds.

The bridge is SUPER big sounding, and has amazing clarity. It doesn't seem to get harsh at all. Some of the most musical highs I've heard.
I’m waiting for the Dimebag Darrel Signature SUHR.

Grichman

This is one helluva guitar. This is the model I want to get. I simply like 2 humbucker guitars. I’m a big fan of Pete and basically found out about SUHR from him. Damn him for making me go into debt!

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
Man, I totally forgot this was still going. Hahaha.

I ultimately ended up selling her to a TGP member, who I know is super happy with it.

It's a really wonderful guitar, but in the end, I felt like I kept looking for each pickup position to be something else.

Got a Suhr Classic Antique HSS to replace it, and I'm much, MUCH happier. I think I may just be a bit too much of a traditionalist. :)

lukather101

I ultimately ended up selling her to a TGP member, who I know is super happy with it.

It's a really wonderful guitar, but in the end, I felt like I kept looking for each pickup position to be something else.

Got a Suhr Classic Antique HSS to replace it, and I'm much, MUCH happier. I think I may just be a bit too much of a traditionalist. :)
What pickups are in the Classic ??

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member

I could have called that... worse than me!

Senor Forum

I could have called that... worse than me!
Yeah, the thing is, though, the honeymoon on the Thorn wasn't too long. I've had the Antique for exactly a month, and I have been playing it like 2-4 hours a day - still feels like the first day. :)

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the thing is, though, the honeymoon on the Thorn wasn't too long. I've had the Antique for exactly a month, and I have been playing it like 2-4 hours a day - still feels like the first day. :)
Nice guitar!

Care to compare and contrast what you did and didn't like about both for those who may be on the fence? I'm really debating whether I want HSS or HH which splitting. I do like a fat neck humbucker sometimes, but I have a Les Paul and 335 style.

Basically, I'm having trouble deciding between an HH 'super strat' and a more traditional, but hot-rodded Strat (with a bridge humbucker and a trem that actually stays in tune). I love a good Strat neck pickups, but I'm not super into the 2 & 4 positions, and I have a good SSS Strat.

I play lots of different kind of stuff and I'm trying to trade-up to fewer, but nicer guitars.

Senor Forum

Nice guitar!

Care to compare and contrast what you did and didn't like about both for those who may be on the fence? I'm really debating whether I want HSS or HH which splitting. I do like a fat neck humbucker sometimes, but I have a Les Paul and 335 style.

Basically, I'm having trouble deciding between an HH 'super strat' and a more traditional, but hot-rodded Strat (with a bridge humbucker and a trem that actually stays in tune). I love a good Strat neck pickups, but I'm not super into the 2 & 4 positions, and I have a good SSS Strat.

I play lots of different kind of stuff and I'm trying to trade-up to fewer, but nicer guitars.
Hey, man!

I really liked everything about the Thorn. I can't imagine anyone picking it up and not liking it a lot. It sounds, feels and looks amazing.

That said, I didn't really "recognize" any of the tones in ant of the positions. It's very much its own thing, which is great for a lot of people. For me, though, I have sounds in my head that I want to hear - I LOVE a good neck strat sound, I adore positions 2 and 4 (I'm one of those who actually prefers the HSS sound for this), and I love a good hot, but not TOO hot humbucker in the bridge.

The Antique nails all of this for me. I liked the neck a lot, the light aging - the entire package is just what I was looking for.

Ultimately, I want to do my own thing, but I want to do it with sounds that I have been hearing in my head for decades. The Antique lets me do that.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Hey, man!

I really liked everything about the Thorn. I can't imagine anyone picking it up and not liking it a lot. It sounds, feels and looks amazing.

That said, I didn't really "recognize" any of the tones in ant of the positions. It's very much its own thing, which is great for a lot of people. For me, though, I have sounds in my head that I want to hear - I LOVE a good neck strat sound, I adore positions 2 and 4 (I'm one of those who actually prefers the HSS sound for this), and I love a good hot, but not TOO hot humbucker in the bridge.

The Antique nails all of this for me. I liked the neck a lot, the light aging - the entire package is just what I was looking for.

Ultimately, I want to do my own thing, but I want to do it with sounds that I have been hearing in my head for decades. The Antique lets me do that.
Cool; thanks! Enjoy the new guitar!

Trending Topics