NGD: No Guitar Day! Ian Anderson promised 6-9 months, now 6x9 months -still no guitar

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by stashman, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

March 2010 a TGPer bought an Ian Anderson build spot - told 6-9 months to complete.
    July 2011 (16 months later) with the build not even started the frustrated seller sells his slot to me, I am told by Ian we are "about to start woodworking".
    Numerous excuses.
    Numerous promises.
    Numerous "erroneous statements"
    Numerous builds completed before mine, that were initiated after mine.
    Numerous pickups, Specials, Teles, Strats advertised for sale by Ian here on TGP.
    4.5 years later, I am still waiting.
    I asked for a refund (he is not in a position to do that).
    He does usually respond to emails and calls, however it means nothing as the promises he makes are never met.
    4.5 years later, I am his priority but he never does any work on the guitar.
    Frustrated, in February of this year I sent pics to another luthier asking if he might finish the build - he said the guitar (based on the pics) was "less than a week from finish, the hard work is done" Well those pics were from last July, and I have still not seen a pic of the guitar with a lick of paint.
    RIDICULOUS!!
    I am so tired of this build, I wish I had never purchased the slot.
    I know this is old news about Ian, but I am frustrated and pretty sure the length of my build sets a new record low.

2. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Maybe a record low for an Ian Anderson build but unfortunately for me and others 4.5 years is merely a drop in the bucket.

Good Luck Stash I truly feel and sympathize for ya

3. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

A few months ago in another Ian Anderson thread on TGP I requested that he make some specific measurable promises to the TGP community, and that type of promise was not forthcoming, in fact my opinion was that the responses still avoided accountability. I am so glad I did not choose to do business with him. If I were going to buy one of his guitars I would buy one which is used/already built from the emporium, and this seems to be my leaning in general due to my frustration with other builders who have promised to deliver a guitar and did not do so in the time frame they communicated.

Perhaps legal action at this point would be more effective in bringing about a result, rather than trying to post on TGP.

4. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Stashman, what you really need is a Ron Thorn build to bring you joy and appreciation of those who follow through on every detail and make the custom guitar buying experience a pleasure. You owe it to yourself after all the frustration!

5. bloomz

bloomz Member

Does thinking about something occasionally qualify as "working on it"?

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

7. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

How much you into it for?

8. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

No lie, I am lucky enough to have just received Grantura #4
    :-D

9. WayneM

WayneM Member

Stashman,

That really is sad situation.
    Maybe he needs a letter from your Lawyer to wake him up and take notice!

Hope things work out to your satisfaction.

10. Lihns

Lihns Supporting Member

Agreed. I've found that whether it's a large organization or a small business, when they hear the words "legal action" and "lawyer" they tend to get things done

11. small axe

small axe Member

demand a refund with a lawyer involved. just gimme my hard earned money back. i dont care about your guitar. sorry u r getting screwed.

cmatthes likes this.
  12. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Yeah you say Lawyer and little kids hide and animals scatter.

Really sorry to hear of the situation Stash...you have a glorious collection and are a great contributor to this board; seems a head scratcher to say the least that you of all people would be getting the short end of the stick here.

13. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

14. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

Last time I looked, incompetence was not criminal.

Guitar builders need to realize that there is more to building and selling guitars than the ability to make a guitar. They need to understand that they are in BUSINESS of selling instruments. And the two key tenets of selling a product or service is that it needs to be delivered on time and within budget.

If a builder cannot accurately estimate either his costs or his delivery schedule, then he is incompetent. And if the timetable in this post is accurate, it sounds like this builder is GROSSLY incompetent.

15. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Look again. :p

mcuguitar and cmatthes like this.
  16. sfarnell

sfarnell Member

What is criminal is refusing to return deposits when they were not in the least bit earned.

mcuguitar and EricPeterson like this.
  17. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Is there any other industry when the product can be 4 years or more late with no penalties and people defending the "defendant"?

Yes incompetence can be a big part but after continued lying of the completion date for multiple years I say it becomes criminal.

If the car dealer or direct manufacture was holding your money for 4 plus years for a special order car due in 6-9 months, all the while telling you every few weeks the car will arrive in a few more weeks, how would you all feel? This is just one of thousands of examples involving such business practices.

Sorry again and again and again Stashman.

cmatthes likes this.
  18. carson072

carson072 Member

4.5 years is outrageous, I mean obviously it doesn't take anywhere near that long to complete a guitar. It would be one thing if there were health issues or natural disasters things like that but just not enough time to work on it? Whew, rough.

19. serviviente7

serviviente7 Member

Nothing new....completely inexcusable....meantime...there are plenty of pickups for sale. This should never happen, in any industry. He should give u your money back PLUS interest....

20. S1Player

S1Player Member

I'd request a refund. If it didn't happen in a couple days, I would hire a lawyer local to the seller and have them send a letter. Still no action - I'd get a small claims court date and then an airline ticket. At this point, I wouldn't really care if it didn't make financial sense to fly in for small claims court - I'd do it on principle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.