NGD: No Guitar Day! Ian Anderson promised 6-9 months, now 6x9 months -still no guitar

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by stashman, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

Actually you are 100% incorrect in this case...

There is an agreement, that included an exchange of money and time frame for delivery. I would assume there are emails confirming this.

Super simple lawsuit at this point... Sadly, thats also more money and more time.

Sadly all builders can't be as awesome as Ron Thorn! He's proof it can be done right... everytime!

2. Nuge

Nuge Member

Fraud:
    1. a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
    2. wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

ron is the absolute king of customer service.

the degree of brand loyalty that his work inspires is extraordinary (and well deserved).

4. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, but the last line is not true.
    At one point in time I had 140 full-blown custom Artisan guitars on order.
    I don't care how good a planner or business man you are, but it is absolutely impossible to determine exactly when you you will finish #141 on the list. This is true one-off customized guitars that constantly changed during the wait as new techniques or options occurred.
    2 years into it the customer wants parrot inlays, fiber optics under the inlays lighting up the parrots eyes (inlaid with rubies, sapphires, etc), including the parrot on the headstock and side dots...oh yeah, and piezo. Try calculating how long that would take to R&D then execute AND how long it pushed everyone else back.
    I'm not putting all the blame on that, I just under estimated what I could accomplish in an 80 hour week, how many emails and pop-ons I would be handling, and just basic events in life that didn't help productivity.
    I finally stopped taking orders for these types of guitars and offered full refunds of their deposits for anyone that didn't want to continue waiting.
    I was in too deep and could think of any other way to get out of it and stay in business.

Ron

Gene46 likes this.
  5. GasMask

GasMask Member

Thank you for sharing this info! (OP)
    It's a difficult thing to do, for many reasons.

Sad to see the fun taken out of what should be an enjoyable process.

6. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

Jimmy Buffett?

7. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

Such a tough situation for all involved - with little to no way to undo the damage done. That said, I really appreciate you jumping in and adding some perspective, Ron. I've owned Ian's guitars (and yours too, Ron) and always had great interactions with Ian, so it's a drag to see this happening to all parties involved.

8. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

That's awful and inexcusable.

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Only on TGP.... :facepalm

10. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Sorry Stashman, I was the one who sold that slot to you and I had already been through numerous ordeals with Ian and finally got fed up and sold my slot in 2010 at a decent discount for what I was already into it for. I absolutely cannot believe that this guitar has not been delivered in all that time. I kept checking the Ian Anderson Builders Forum threads to see Stashman's guitar come through to make me feel better and maybe regret selling my slot. I feel bad for selling that slot to Stashman and I apologize that this hasn't been delivered, but I can't speak for Ian. I originally put my deposit down in 2008 for a six month build, that's what I was quoted at the time. Then the excuses came, never saw progress and sold the spot at a loss in 2010. Again, sorry Stashman that you still haven't received a guitar yet, hopefully this thread lights a fire under Ian (AGAIN) and you get what you paid for.

11. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

Ron is always so supportive!

But it says tons that I have never seen a thread about Ron not being 100%.

There are many about Ian...

That says volumes. Obviously any delays from you, Ron, we're handled professionally.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Wow. Congratulations on being an incredibly patient person. I would have exploded or given up hope about 3 years earlier.

Good luck.

13. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

Yes I am in it way too deep. Ron's always been in inspiration. I know what he's been through and where he is at now. Not to mention the quality of the work he puts out.

This is a totally custom one off guitar that involves custom inlay work, binding everywhere, a technically difficult custom finish, a custom neck shape. My time on it is doubled at least. Not to say it's excuseable but things can really get out of hand with the time. The guitar has been moving along on track recently headed towards completion finally with the finish scheduled to be on and curing by the end of the month. At this point until then I am following a schedule of painting and drying. So rest assured its on track and moving along at this point.

But I agree it's a horrible situation for all involved and I am here working on getting guitars done to get out of it as soon as possible. I haven't been taking orders for Standards for some time now and have new stuff in the works to take care of my commitments and customers. Who will all get taken care of.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    SceroGuitars likes this.
  14. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Reminds me of Smitty / Bluetron - 6 years since deposit placed, over 5 years since I demanded a refund. Don't rely on Small Claims - even if you win, you still have to collect. And Smitty's address is awfully hard to come by.

15. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

Haha!

16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

OP - just curious, and understand if you don't answer - how much of your money/percentage of guitars cost, does IAN have?

17. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

and i was going to commission ian for a new build....was.

18. jb4674

jb4674 Member

According to the site, the deposit is $1500 non-refundable.

19. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

20. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Now thats funny !!!! Me not being the sharpest spoon in the drawer all the time didnt get it till I was at about the 3:40 mark. Plus I havent heard that in ages

Well Played Sir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.