• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD Odd Duck - Lord of the Blues

Kashmir Oceania

Silver Supporting Member
Occasionally I browse online auction sites looking for new gear and I came across an interesting guitar. Let me first say I love the look and sound of strats, but I don't like vibrato systems unless it's a Kahler. While browsing I spotting a weird looking strat. It was a hardtail! At first I thought it was a cheap knock-off but upon closer inspection it looked to be homemade. It had it's rough spots but no well loved guitar doesn't and I had a good feeling about it. I waited until the auction ended and won the guitar for $150 shipped.

A few days passes and the guitar arrived at my doorstep. Upon opening the box I discovered the guitar was definitely homemade but whoever built it did a good job. The fretwork is great even though the frets are low, the body looks like oak, it has a rosewood fretboard, and I could not identify the neck wood. Grover tuners and the saddles are stamped and say 'Fender' though the bridge plate doesn't look to be Fender.

Then it gets odd. There's a first fret maker and not all the fret dots are even but I think that just adds character. And the neckplate is really strange, it looks like copper but I'm not sure. And the pickguard is homemade as well but I don't think by the same person that made the guitar. It's not as nicely made and someone rerouted the guitar from HSS to a swimming pool route with something that looks like clay on the hole for the pickguard. Additionally the ground wires are just pieces of copper, and there's a stamped production number in the body though it's clearly handmade.

The guitar did not play at first (probably why it was sold) so I opened it up and was greeted by a Guitarforce Lord of the Blues neck pickup. After rewiring the guitar with a new switch and fixing the old wiring I got to play. The LotB is a fantastic pickup! 7.3k and A4 magnets sound amazing! It nails AC/DC in series and gets a good single coil-esque in parallel. My plan this guitar is to get an HSS pickguard with two Rumplestiltskin single coils. Here's the guitar:

Trending Topics