• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD - (OGD?) - 1979 Fender Antigua Stratocaster

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
New Gear Day (New Guitar Day) for me but it is actually an Old Gear Day (OGD) for me because I originally bought this guitar in about 1993 or so and I just bought it back from the friend I sold it to about 10 years ago. Just cleaned it up, put on new strings, intonation and I am so happy to be reunited with it. I know it that people consider antigua to be one of the ugliest colors of any guitar ever but I love it, especially this one (the reissues are hideous IMO). Also this one has serious mojo and priceless sentimental value. She sounds AMAZING! Just wanted to share.

Antigua-Strat-1.jpg

Antigua-Strat-4.jpg

Antigua-Strat-2.jpg

Antigua-Strat-3.jpg

Antigua-Strat-5.jpg

MIke MM

New Gear Day (New Guitar Day) for me but it is actually an Old Gear Day (OGD) for me because I originally bought this guitar in about 1993 or so and I just bought it back from the friend I sold it to about 10 years ago. Just cleaned it up, put on new strings, intonation and I am so happy to be reunited with it. I know it that people consider antigua to be one of the ugliest colors of any guitar ever but I love it, especially this one (the reissues are hideous IMO). Also this one has serious mojo and priceless sentimental value. She sounds AMAZING! Just wanted to share.

View attachment 295111

View attachment 295119

View attachment 295121

View attachment 295122

View attachment 295123
That is one loved guitar!

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
i have a '79 hardtail that is ash. Looks like yours could be ash too.
I was wondering what kind of wood the body is. Ash and Alder look so similar. This guitar is about 8.5lbs. Not sure if that helps figure out the wood type. But considering yours is a 79 hardtail and is ash I am going to guess that mine is too. I read that the ash they were using back then was "heavy ash" or something like that. All my guitars are hard tail.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
It so ugly that it is beautiful. I see a kitty cat in the pick guard Rorschach blot. What do you see?
Thanks! That is funny because I never thought to look at it like a Rorschach blot. I guess I see an angler fish and a masquerade mask. But I can see a kitty cat now that you mention it.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
By the way, the frets on this are fat and wide. Very similar to the frets on a 1978 Gibson The Paul I used to have. Even though some of the frets are a bit worn, they are so massive it is not a problem yet.

twotone

The lacquer on those late 1970s Strats wasn't very good. It cracks and chips something awful.

But I do like the hardtail option. I wish that Fender would have continued with it post-CBS.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! That's the coolest looking Antigua Strat I've seen and I'm a fan generally! I love the wear patches on the pickguard, they're so distinctive.

I have an Antigua Tele Custom from '78 I really love, one day I'd like to add a Strat version to the family.

Texsunburst59

Congrats on getting your guitar back.

That guitar does have a lot of mojo, and has the bruises and scars to prove it.

I too have a '79 Fender Antigua Stat that I used for 10+ years in bars and clubs in the 80's until I retired it in the early 90's.

It will never ever be sold and will be handed down to my guitar playing son.

OP, hopefully you'll keep the guitar this time. ;)

neastguy

I only have experience with one of those.. and it was one of the worst guitars I ever played..lol.. it also weighed about 11lbs.. wasn't my guitar.. but a bandmate. I'm glad you are digging yours.. Im sure the one I played was just a turd

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
I only have experience with one of those.. and it was one of the worst guitars I ever played..lol.. it also weighed about 11lbs.. wasn't my guitar.. but a bandmate. I'm glad you are digging yours.. Im sure the one I played was just a turd
That doesn't surprise me. I have heard that the Strats in the late 1970s are hit or miss. Just because it is heavy doesnt mean it sounds good. Luckily this one feels good and sounds great.

Trending Topics