NGD ... Open box "deal" with switched pickups maybe?!?

onemoretime

I bought a Hagstrom Swede SE 2-P90 from Musician's Friend. It was a mint used guitar for $399 which I thought was a good deal from the regular $599 price. I no more than bought the guitar and they have now reduced the price on new ones to $449. Probably doesn't matter but a new guitar has warranty for whatever it's worth, so I am feeling not so good with my purchase.

Nice guitar but bridge pickup is significantly weaker than the neck. Tried adjusting but can't find the sweet spot like the neck pickup the neck+bridge sounds. Between the weak bridge pickup and the deal that was not really a deal, I am just not sure it is a keeper.

If I didn't think I know better, I would say it sounds like the pickups are swapped neck to bridge but aren't the P90's are usually pretty much wound the same? The difference in volume is pretty significant and it sounds more like a tapped humbucker than a P90. The neck pick otoh is really articulate and loud.

Great guitar otherwise. Should I start over with a new one? I just have this gut feeling it was returned to MF for the pickup issue because it is an otherwise perfect guitar. Also, the neck is not the normal Hagstrom profile you can use as a shoe-horn. It is smack between a Gibson Fat 50's and Slim 60's profile with a perfect C shape, not a flattened D like Epiphone. I also like the toggle on the lower horn. This is a much nicer guitar than the Epi '56 Goldtops I have owned.

Last edited:

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
If it was sold as "mint" then the full factory warranty applies. Not saying you should keep it. At $449 regular price you could get it for less brand new with the 15% standard discount.

onemoretime

If it was sold as "mint" then the full factory warranty applies. Not saying you should keep it. At $449 regular price you could get it for less brand new with the 15% standard discount.
No warranty card included. Price reduction is considered a "sale price" and coupon codes only apply to regular price items, according to MF.

Last edited:

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
The way I'd look at it is if the guitar has "it", which from what you've said it doesn't, I'd keep it, but as it is it seems like you're best bet is to send it back and get another one on the off chance that the guitar you get has "it". Get it? Lol

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
If the guitar has "it" otherwise, then I would keep it and swap the pickup(s)

At that price point, the pickups aren't going to be the best anyway, so I would be looking for a nice set of good quality p90's to stick in there. Good used p90's are easy to get at reasonable prices.

But I do all my own work, so the cost would be minimal for me. If you have to take it to a tech to install, that would increase the investment.

As to possible swapped or "screwed with" pickups, open up the backplate and take a look (or snap a pic and post here) to see if the solder joints look factory or if any hanky panky has been going on it there(?)

G

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
As for your statement below:
"If I didn't think I know better, I would say it sounds like the pickups are swapped neck to bridge but aren't the P90's are usually pretty much wound the same? The difference in volume is pretty significant and it sounds more like a tapped humbucker than a P90. The neck pick otoh is really articulate and loud."

The original Gibson P90s were wound the same, but so were their humbuckers back in the day. Today most modern pickups are calibrated for each position, so you'd be best off measuring the resistance with a multimeter, which will give you SOME idea of where you stand.
It looks like a nice guitar, but if you aren't satisfied, I still say, take advantage of the return policy & new pricing & get a new one. Just MHO, NGD should be a joyous occasion, not a stressful one...good luck!

Tony

Trending Topics