NGD:Page SV-1 #28

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by korfist, Dec 16, 2009.

1. korfist

korfist Member

Review of John Page P-1 SV #0028

Sometimes you find the best things when you aren’t looking for them. I emailed Cliff at Destroy all Guitars as to his opinion of the John Page guitars after I saw Lance Keltner’s clip on youtube. (By the way, Cliff is great to work with. I can’t say enough about Cliff.) Cliff said it just got in from Texas and was a great guitar. So, I took it. Initially I was concerned about the Medium C neck size, liking a larger neck and the hum from single coils gets annoying at times. When I opened the box, I felt like john Travolta in Pulp Fiction. We all remember the scene where he is looking in the case and the gold glare is shining but we never find out what is in the box. The Fiesta red was beautiful but what really caught my eye was the Brazilian fingerboard. Online and at a distance it doesn’t look special but up close, there are delicate patterns running everywhere and it is beautiful. The build is flawless. Sitting on my lap, the guitar is very comfortable and the arm and belly cutaway accentuate that point. Cliff told me on the phone that the guitar doesn’t need a bigger neck. He was right. The Med C is a handful. It seems to have “broad shoulders”. As Lance said in the video, you can play it for hours.
    Sound wise…incredible. Lance does a good job demonstrating some of the tones of the guitar. But what really stands out is that it rings forever. Not only is the sustain very long but open strings have almost a bell like quality. The bridge is hot and can go pretty hard. I would say more than other tele’s that I have owned. I really like the bridge with the humbucker or single in the neck. It is a sound that I have not really heard in other guitars. It is full and articulate, almost acoustic guitar like through a clean amp. The neck is full and more articulate than a normal humbucker on a LesPaul type. I could see Pete Townshend using this guitar.
    Overall, the sound and feel of this guitar is outstanding. I am looking forward to ordering a P-1.

2. ford

ford Supporting Member

:worthless

Sounds super cool!

3. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

4. ford

ford Supporting Member

I really like it! Enjoy in good health.

5. John Page

John Page Member

korfist,
    I'm really glad that you like 028! I was really happy with the way the Honduran/Brazilian neck worked with the Swamp Ash body. It may not be traditional but it sure kicks butt. I love the added mids and sparkle.

Here are some photos I took before I shipped her. I had a really hard time trying to shoot the Fiesta Red, so they're not great... sorry.

Happy Holidays everyone!
    John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

oh man... that transparent fiesta red is ten kinds of awesome :bow

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

John, the photos are actually quite good. Reds and yellows are a pain to shoot, IMO. Do you shoot RAW and deal with white balance later, or do you just handle WB with the camera?

Great looking guitar.

8. John Page

John Page Member

My camera uploads as jpeg, I don't think I can select RAW format on it. It's an older HP model. I manually white balance at the camera and then massage it in Photoshop. I think one of my problems is that I'm using older photo floods that I used with my old film camera. I would imagine they have something better these days for digital. I guess it's just something else to add to the list to work on, eh?