NGD! Parker Fly Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NunoVanbamsteen, Apr 28, 2015.

1. NunoVanbamsteen

NunoVanbamsteen Member

2000 Parker Fly in red, minty condition arrived today, 2nd fly I've owned. I stupidly sold my Fly classic after a bad experience with another band not hiring me due to my gear not being "vintage", last time I do that!

This guitar plays every bit as well as I remember my previous one playing. STUPID low action, no effort to play.
    I think I may figure out a different neck pickup, there is a bit of muddiness to it that is a lil annoying, but not a deal breaker, by any means.

IMO the trick to getting along with this guitar is forget what you know about normal electrics and the bone conduction you get from the heavier vibrating body resonating against you. The fly doesn't give you that physical feedback that we all have grown accustomed to feeling, so the guitar feels cheap or has some intangible thing that doesn't allow you to bond with it. The tone is there, the playability and versatility is too. I am pretty tall, so I don't have the issue with the upper horn digging into your chest like some have mentioned.

Anyway, I'm tickled to have another one!

[​IMG]

2. Dashface

Dashface Member

Congrats!

I bought a Fly Deluxe late last year, but I had to sell it almost immediately because it was too good. I realized that if I kept it I would never play another guitar.

They really are something special. Enjoy that thing!

3. seedlings

seedlings Member

I have a 2008 Deluxe. Plays so awesome, but I agree about the pickups. Mine are DiMarzio - and best I can figure, the bridge is a tone zone and not sure about the neck. I sent an email to DiMarzio, waiting to hear back, because their site says there are several models they make to fit. Just don't know how to buy them.

CHAD

4. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your new fly !

I have a fly mojo , love this guitar. Mine is a mahagony maple and Seymour Duncan's JB / Jazz , which I have to say, I really like these pups from day one and have such a sweet yet sting to them, can't explain it, maybe low mids, or something that comes thru with clarity in lead notes that is different from the other guitars I have had and currently own.

Playability, wow ! Playing when seated can jab the horn a little, but aside from that, it's great. I had mine up for sale a few months ago, and then pulled it back. Glad I didn't sell it.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have an early Ken Parker Fly Deluxe in all gold that I call my "Gold Standard". All my other guitar come up short in comparison. I did get a Fly Mojo as well because the Deluxe is SO good.
    DiMarizio makes a pretty good line of pickups to fit Parkers.

Here is info on pickups in Parkers, including the list that DiMarzio makes to fit:

"Magnetic Pickup recommendations for your Parker Fly.
    Pickups installed in a Parker Fly will sound different than the same pickups installed in a conventional guitar, because the Fly is built differently. This is true whether your pickups are DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG, or custom handwounds.
    Pickups only copy the acoustic properties of the guitar. They can shape tone but they don't create tone. It all starts with the guitar. Before choosing pickups, consider the tonal character of your guitar and the ease of pickup installation.
    Nothing sounds like a Parker Fly. They vibrate so much; you can actually feel it as you play.
    All guitars soak up some of the "sound energy" of a vibrating string. Parkers soak up less "sound energy" so the pickups "hear" more overtone harmonics, which produces uncommon richness of tone. The frequency response extends much higher than other guitars due to the unique materials used in its construction (for example: lightweight
    tone woods, composite skin and stainless steel frets). Therefore a pickup, which sounds dark or muddy on another guitar, may sound more clear and bright in the Parker Fly.
    Sound choices:
    Building fine pickups is a real art, but it doesn’t have to be mysterious. Basically, the guitar pickup is a coil of insulated wire wrapped around a magnetic core. It is positioned so the strings are within its magnetic field. These things can be altered to shape the tonal characteristics of a pickup. The main design factors for magnetic pickups are:
    • Coil configuration and locations (for ex. a pair of Humbuckers, or three Single-coils, or two Single-coils plus a Humbucker)
    • Wiring of the coils in relation to one another (for ex. series vs. parallel, in-phase vs. out-of-phase, hum-canceling vs. noisy)
    • Magnetic field (several materials are available including Alnico ll, Alnico lll, Alnico V. Ceramic and Neodymium)
    • Coil wire; diameter, length, number of wraps, and overall coil shape.
    • Other things which have an effect on tone are: coil wire insulation type, potting, pickup covers, mounting plates, pole pieces, distance from string to pickup, pot values, etc.
    The key point is, you can modify any number of these factors to impact your overall sound.
    The Parker Fly is factory equipped with DiMarzio pickups*. If you want a different tone DiMarzio makes a dozen
    different models which are available in the Fly format ** (see below).
    Other than DiMarzio:
    There are three things to consider when retrofitting non-DiMarzio pickups onto a Fly.
    • Our guitar body is so thin (just over ½” at the neck PU) that special pickup mounting is required. Fly Humbuckers are anchored with two pole piece screws going into threaded brass inserts in the guitar. If a pickup doesn't have pole piece spacing identical to the Fly, modifications will be required. (The screws are 1.400" on center, on the diagonal of a 0.720" X 1.200" grid.) A solidly mounted pickup is imperative for top performance when playing loud.
    • Our base-plate corners have a 3/8" radius. Most other pickups have a smaller radius and won’t fit into the pickup hole without modification.
    • String spacing at the Parker Bridge is about 2.150". The pole pieces of our DiMarzio pickups are 2" apart (0.400" o.c.)***. Narrower spacing may diminish the sound of the E strings.
    Keep an open mind and open ears when it comes to selecting magnetic pickups for your Parker Fly because your favorite pickup model may sound a little different in a Parker. Remember that magnetic pickups are only one link in a long chain that determines tone and output. Other important links to consider are: your guitar, strings, cables, amps and speakers.
    Tech Notes:
    * Flys built since April of 1999 are equipped with DiMarzio newer Parker Fly Custom Neck #PHWP1, and Parker Fly Custom Bridge #PHWP2. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 5/8" long.
    From 1993 through March of 1999 Flys had the original DiMarzio pickups, which were based on the Air Norton for the neck position and the Tone Zone for the bridge position. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 3/8" long.
    ** DiMarzio makes the following pickup models in the Fly format: The Humbucker From Hell, PAF, PAF Pro, Fred, Norton, Air Norton, Air Zone, Tone Zone, Breed neck and bridge models, Air Classic neck and bridge, and Virtual PAF neck and bridge models. They have also done Fly versions of the Evolution and Steve’s Special.
    *** Seymour Duncan's Trembucker models also have wide pole piece spacing, but they are not exactly the same dimensions as DiMarzio."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had the Duncan Custom shop rewind my DiMarzios in my 94, the experiment was not successful. They didn't sound any better and the in between sound was actually worse. With another decade's experience I could live with the DiMarzios but I'd prefer to find one with the Duncans.

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

Do you think maybe they did it on purpose so you just buy some Duncans?:cool:

8. NunoVanbamsteen

NunoVanbamsteen Member

It definitely lacks some clarity on the lower notes with the neck pickup.
    I am spoiled by my Blade in that department. My only other kvetch is the flexible PC board "wiring" The output jack has a small issue that causes sound to drop out if I nudge the jack in a specific direction. It makes me wonder if I have a cold solder joint, or a crack in the ribbon cables. Don't see any cracks, but not everything is clearly visible.

9. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

Amazing guitar man.

*Ebay'd for prices*
    HOLY PRICETAG! I remembered Parker Fly's being expensive, but I forgot that we're talking PRS expensive.

10. NunoVanbamsteen

NunoVanbamsteen Member

I think the PRS guitars are beautiful, but I've played a couple and they didn't grab me. The Fly is just so flexible and easy to play! Not to mention it is ridiculously light. It's going to be weird switching back to one of my "normal" guitars.

11. Dashface

Dashface Member

That was the problem I had! First show I played the Fly at I switched back to my normal Tele for the third set... It was like switching from a Porsche to a garbage truck :D Nothing handles like a Fly.

12. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

Looks just like mine!. Fabulous guitars.

13. silot

silot Member

Coming from a traditional guitar background I used to think these Parkers are certainly not for me. About a month ago I got a Nitefly from a friend and now I know why so many people believe that Flys are addictive ! Congrats, this is a beautiful one !

14. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

I've always liked the look of Parker guitars. Congrats!

15. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Great guitars , at least the old ones, had few sold them would get one again very cool guitars