NGD - Petrucci JP70 Mystic Dream w/Bareknuckle Juggernauts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by customguitars87, Jun 8, 2019.

1. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

So I enjoy 7 strings...but I probably play 6 string 85% of the time and 7 string the other 15%. I've had a couple of expensive ones (Carvin, EBMM, etc) and always sold them because I feel like having a $2000 guitar you play 2-3 times a month is silly. Since then I've been on the lookout for a well built less expensive alternative, preferably with some nice upgrades I wouldn't have to pay extra for :).

Enter this beautiful Sterling Petrucci JP70 model, in my favorite finish of all time - Mystic Dream (it basically is a color shift finish from purple to blue to green). Pics can't really do it justice, just a beautiful finish! This one was also upgraded with a set of Bareknuckle Juggernaut pickups with burnt chrome screws to match the finish. I ended up paying almost exactly what the pickups would've cost me new for the entire thing including gig bag.

Never played a Sterling of any sort before but I'm really impressed by this build quality. It plays great with super low action, rosewood fretboard has some beautiful grain, the finish is 100% as well done as it was on the "real" Musicman JP7 I had before, and these pickups sound absolutely monstrous. Previous owner removed the finish on the back of the neck (feels nice and smooth) but aside from that you wouldn't be able to guess it isn't brand new.

Needless to say, my hunt for a 7 is over for not much scratch.

Some pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

Super cool. I really liked the Sterling JP70 I tried out, but I already had several 7-stringed guitars.

I play my 7s frequently; maybe even more than my 6s, even if I'm not always using the low string. I've become accustomed to, and may even prefer, the super-wide neck. It enforces good thumb position, even when not using the low string.

Enjoy!!

3. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

That's definitely true, I've noticed that if I ever play in an incorrect position (which I rarely do...but it happens) this guitar really lets me know quickly.

J Factor likes this.
  4. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Updating with one more pic I forgot, shows a little of the green that the other pics don't really capture. This finish is really difficult to photograph with just a phone!

After a few days of extended play I can confidently say it'll be a keeper, and I'm really enjoying it. Don't think I could've done any better in a million years for $350, and I can finally stop the 7 string hunt and spend that time playing. Highly recommend one of these if you want a high quality 7 on the cheap.

[​IMG]

Drawde and Blix like this.
  5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The Sterling series started out being a bit meh, but I have to say they really upped the game the last few years, now the quality is pretty damn good!

6. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

Man, that's a steal. Beautiful guitar!! I have a bunch of guitars but my Majesty is #1.

7. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yep I've heard some of the earlier models had a few QC issues but this is actually my first time ever playing/buying one and I'm really impressed! Looked it over head to toe and really can't find anything amiss. I had a real deal JP7 in this finish a while back and with the Juggernaut pickups in this JP70 it's of very similar quality (missing the piezo though of course, and the neck is just regular maple versus the birdseye on the higher end MMs). I actually like the sound of this one more than the JP7 I had with the Petrucci signature pickups, but that's not surprising given my love for all things Bareknuckle.

Thanks! I think the pickups are something like $320 new so it was basically like paying for the pickups and getting the guitar for free. Also came with the stock Sterling pickups, so I can probably sell those for like $40ish for the pair to someone doing a 7 string project and make this even cheaper.

DarrellM5 likes this.
  8. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Tell us more about those juggernauts - how do they sound with mid and/or low gain? clean? I'm sure they sound killer with lots of gain (big periphery fan here)

9. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

$350?! I have no need for a 7-string, but at that price, it would be hard to pass up!

I've tried the JP models and found the body to be tiny. Otherwise, very well constructed and thought out design. I can understand why it doesn't leave you wanting anything else!

10. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I think they sound great, and they're really quite versatile for a variety of applications. I tend to mostly use the neck and middle (aka neck + bridge) positions for clean tones, but the bridge position here is very nice as well. These have a different flavor than say a Bareknuckle Mule (which is my all-time favorite BKP for clean playing), but still awesome. They also obviously excel at high gain, and the clarity is really impressive even when playing a complex chord with a ton of gain. I'm not a djent-er myself, but they certainly bring the chug power hard and heavy.

Overall, this set does nothing to diminish my opinion of BKP as the best pickups out there (for my tastes, anyway).

thebeebs likes this.
  11. stonem

stonem Member

I never really looked into MM guitars but that thing is gonna send me to reverb. It looks awesome. Grats!

customguitars87 likes this.
  12. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Nice haha, they do make great guitars. This is my first ever experience with Sterling, I was worried it would really be a drastic quality difference between this and the MM JP7 I owned years ago but with the pickup upgrade it really isn't all that different at all. Very solidly built, stays in tune extremely well, and plays great!

Beto likes this.
  13. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Nice one. Ill be getting a 7 ibanez or some other real soon too. I had a JP 6 in that color 14 years ago. Good guitar.

14. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I have the Misha BK pickups i had installed in an Ibanez As53 semi hollow and theyre great. They clean up good for a high output agressive pup.

thebeebs and customguitars87 like this.
  15. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Wow, interesting choice to put those in an AS53! I have a set of Bareknuckle Mules in my semihollow and they sound amazing, I would imagine pickups that are high output like that would squeal in a semihollow but hey, that's what noise suppressors are for :).

16. stonem

stonem Member

Is the neck oiled and smooth on the sterling models?

17. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

The previous owner of my guitar removed the finish on the back of the neck so it's not "stock", feels great and very smooth though. Haven't felt an unaltered one but I imagine it's probably very nice too, from what I've read the original neck finish is satin/matte and not gloss so should be nice and smooth.

stonem likes this.
  18. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

19. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

While I like my pearl redburst JP Standard, I still regret not paying a bit more (although I was already on a stretch) for the mystic dream. There have been many nice colors along the years, but the MD is still my favorite color for this guitar.

20. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Me too, it’s actually my favorite finish of all time and if this was a different color I would’ve probably still jumped on it due to the Juggernauts and sweet price but wouldn’t have been quite so stoked.

If you find yourself really craving it you can always sell your pearl and pick up a MD used, price difference probably wouldn’t be more than $100-200 or so...